Chapter 10: Meetings, Jutsu, and Other Shinobi Things

Naruto woke up tired and laying on the ground. He'd pushed himself hard training after his talk with Sakura. She had stayed with him the whole time, watching him and making sure he didn't over exert himself. She'd fallen asleep at some point though, leaning up against a tree. When Naruto noticed this he took off his jacket and had laid it over her so she wouldn't get cold before going back to training.

And eventually, he himself had fallen asleep.

He was woken up by someone gently touching his shoulder. Opening his eyes, he saw a pretty face hovering over his own, framed by long, dark hair. His heart clenched.

Haku.

"Sorry to wake you," he said kindly. "But I didn't think you would find it comfortable to be sleeping out here." He stretched out a hand to offer help up. Blinking, Naruto took it and sat up. Off by the trees, he heard rustling from where Sakura had fallen asleep followed by a startled gasp upon her seeing a stranger so close to them.

"Good morning, miss," he greeted, smiling in her direction.

"Uh, hi," she stammered out, trying to figure out who he was. Since she had never really met Haku before, she couldn't place him as easily.

"I'm sorry for interrupting you two," he said with a smile. "I just came out here to gather herbs and found you two asleep." Then, "Oh, you two are shinobi," he said, noticing their headbands, as if he hadn't already noticed it before. "You must be very strong."

"Yeah, I guess you could say that," Sakura said wearily, standing up to join them on the grass. Naruto's jacket was clutched in her hands now that she was awake, and she handed it back to him upon sitting down.

"I'm Sakura, and that's Naruto," she greeted, gesturing to him. "Who are you?"

"My name is Haku," he replied, giving them both a kind smile.

"Hi Haku," Sakura said, returning his smile. "What kind of herbs do you need?" She continued, eyeing Haku's partially full basket. "I'm pretty good with medicines, so I might be able to help."

"Just these," he said, holding up what was in his basket. Sakura glanced at the herbs, her medical experience coming to the forefront of her mind and her features contorting in recognition. She wiped away the look, replacing it with a smile.

"Ah, I see," she said with just the slightest edge to her voice. "What do you need them for?"

A fleeting spark of recognition flared in Haku's eyes, but he looked back down at the ground - to focus on the plants. "A friend of mine was injured, I'm trying to help him recover."

"That's very noble of you to help," Sakura said.

"He's my precious person," Haku stated simply. "Of course I'd help him. Wouldn't you do the same for yours?"

Sakura blinked, slightly dumbfounded. She had never realized the bond between Haku and Zabuza had been so close. Unsure of what to say, she went back to picking herbs.

"I would," Naruto stated, jabbing a thumb towards his chest. "I'd never abandon my precious people!

Haku's smile returned, kindness and warmth flowing back into his cheeks at the boy's words. "Is that your dream? To protect them?" He asked. Naruto scratched his chin thoughtfully. Was it his dream? In part, he supposed. He'd always wanted to be Hokage. But being Hokage meant protecting everyone. And having everyone be your precious people.

"I guess so," he shrugged. "I've always dreamt of becoming Hokage, and the Hokage protects everyone," he said, reciting his thoughts. "So I guess that is my dream. Is it yours?"