Chapter 40: Talks

The plan was laid out, and everyone knew what they had to do to prepare. As it was late afternoon though, the team decided to put off their plan until tomorrow. So, after being dismissed, the three time travelers started to head home.

"Naruto," Kakashi-sensei suddenly called out. "Can I have a word?"

Naruto stopped in his tracks, frowning. They'd just finished detailing their plan for how to get into the prison to see Gaara and we're headed home. What could Kakashi-sensei possibly want to talk about?

Naruto looked back at his teammates for guidance. Sakura shook her head with a shrug to signify she wasn't sure what the jōnin wanted to talk about, while Sasuke merely shrugged. Well, it looked like Naruto was on his own. "Uh? Sure?" He finally said.

Waving Sakura and Sasuke off, Naruto walked back over to his sensei, who beckoned him over to the memorial stone.

Oh, he realized with a pang, so it was going to be that kind of conversation.

For a little while neither said anything. Neither really knew what to say. What was Kakashi-sensei thinking about? Was he going to warn him about the dangers of their plan? Tell him the whole story about Obito and his sharingan (which Naruto didn't seem to think was likely at the current moment)? What on earth could it be?

"I'm sorry I never told you about your parents," the jōnin finally offered.

Of all the things Naruto thought he was going to say, that wasn't it. Frowning, Naruto looked up at his sensei. "What?"

"You said you knew who your parents were back at the hospital," his sensei elaborated. "And you explained how you met both of them, yes?"

Naruto nodded mutely. Next to him, Kakashi-sensei sighed. "I wish you could have found out another way."

"So, why didn't you? Tell me that is," Naruto asked. Although a part of him already suspected the answer.

Sighing, his sensei looked over to him from the stone, lone eye heavy with guilt. "There was a gag order put on everyone who knew who your real parents were," he said. "We were forbidden from even talking about it, to you or anyone else." Naruto frowned. If he was younger he felt as though he definitely would have been hurt by this news. Probably even angry. Keeping his parents from him was cruel, beyond cruell really. But now he just felt... Tired.

"I get it, Kakashi-sensei," he said honestly. "But you don't gotta apologize. You were under orders, y'know.."

He could tell though by what little expression he could see that his sensei still felt guilty. "It doesn't excuse my actions- or- lack thereof." Then, added on, "You're father and I were very close. I should have been there for you like he was there for me, and I'm sorry I wasn't."

Naruto tried to ignore the heat rising in his chest. The kind that made your throat close up and your eyes sting. Now wasn't the time for tears, he tried to tell himself. Not yet, at least.

"Yeah but that's all in the past," Naruto said, trying to put on a smile. "So it doesn't matter."

Kakashi-sensei cocked an unamused eyebrow. "Not if you're a time traveler," he noted dryly.

"Well, whatever," the blonde shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pockets and turning to face the jonin. "I mean, as a time traveler," he smirked. "I think I have full authority to say that the past is what the past is, and that it's the future ya gotta focus on, y'know."

Despite the mask, Naruto could see the dry smirk on his sensei's face.

"Maa, alright," he chuckled. Then he reached out and ruffled Naruto's hair. Just a quick motion, but enough to spark a warm feeling in Naruto's chest. "Now, we have a jinchuuriki to meet tomorrow. You should get some rest," he added, putting an end to the conversation.