Chapter 1: Karma: Present time

Shouta has no idea why he is involved in this. Granted his quirk is useful in so many cases. But what could be the case this time that the President and the Vice President of the country would personally meet him with the chief of police to request his assistance?

Once everybody was settled for the private meeting, the chief of police, Tsuragamae Kenji, started the discussion.

"the police recently had a lead about the identity of the notorious vigilante Karma - woof" the chief started.

Uh-huh. He didn't expect that. Karma was a well-known vigilante but was only involved with condemning and exposing corrupt government officials through illegal means and was never involved in violent acts, so most of the heroes were never bothered about him. He only became the most wanted because it's the big guns in the government that wants him caught. He suspects those big guns were just afraid to be Karma's next target.

Is the President and the Vice also afraid of him that's why they're here? He wondered. 

Though as far as he knows, the President was well-known to be a hero of the masses and was never stained by any issues involving corruption. Maybe he's just being pressured.

"According to the intelligence department of the police force, they strongly believed that Karma has a small but effective range of network that allows him to gather and disseminate data with ease, but also the said network is stubbornly loyal to him that even our best Intel can't even gather personal information about him. We take that he must be backed-up with a prominent history in vigilantism or villainy which allowed him to amass loyalists behind him." The chief explained.

He adjusted his tie to feel more comfortable, mutter a mostly inaudible and strained "woof", then continued.

"He was also very careful not to reveal his quirk during encounters to avoid identity. But unfortunately, the last encounter with the police caught him off-guard and he had no choice but to use his quirk as means of escape"

Shouta leaned closer to the table at that. It's like hearing some conspiracy theories.

The intense silence of the attendees urges the chief to continue.

"The police present at the encounter didn't really see him use it but with all present variables considered we end up with one conclusion, Karma might have a teleportation or similar quirk" the chief declared.

With the chief's explanation. The room went silent.

"He must be a regular citizen then," Nedzu, the principal of the school where Shouta works as a teacher, interrupted the stern silence of the room. "Teleportation quirks are extremely rare to the point where a lot doubts its existence, he was well aware that if his quirk will be identified, then just one trip to the national statistics office and the police can narrow it down to only a handful of people. I even only knew one person with this quirk." Nedzu made a knowing look at the President.

The President nervously laughed at Nedzu's statement. It was only then Shouta noticed the stiffness of the man's demeanor, far from the bright and jolly image he projects every time he went in public.

Shota is getting more agitated every second, can they already spit out who Karma is? The suspense is killing him.

"there's no need to go to the statistics office, Nedzu-san," the vice president said like the whole ordeal was a big bad joke she would rather not want to hear the second time.

"she's right." The president supplied. "I have a special team that deals with investigating corrupt officials that were directly reporting to me. And by the nature of the offense and sequence of those officials being exposed by Karma, we have been suspecting that Karma might be related to our team."