Chapter 2: Karma: The Origin

Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back

***

Two years ago

His dad won.

His dad was the crowd favourite, but it still shocked Izuku to hear the news.

The Japanese Republic just elected Hisashi Midoriya as its 30th president since its transition to democracy.

Wow.

The administration expected the First Family to move to The Palace within this month, so Izuku hastily helps his mother in packing their things. He never knew they had this many, how did all of this fit in their average four-bedroom home? Who knows.

He was filing some old photo albums (they're still around?) when a photo fell out of them. Picking the faded piece of photopaper, he noticed it was a picture of a traditional house he never seen before.

"Mom?" he asked his mother. The new first lady, Inko Midoriya, was busy labelling the boxes to avoid confusion.

"Yes dear?" his mother answered.

He approached his mother placing the photo in her line of sight and asked, "whose house is this?"

Inko's brows crunched, whether due to recalling some distant memory or figuring out the faded picture, he's not sure.

"Ah! That's the ancestral house from your father's side" she said, finally recognizing it.

Ancestral house?

"WE HAD AN ANCESTRAL HOUSE?!" he asked in disbelief.

Inko chuckled on her son's reaction. She remembers she had the same one when Hisashi had told her.

"Now, now, maybe dad just forgot to tell you and bring you there. You know how busy his work is." She assured her confused son.

He looked back at the photo. Gliding his fingers on the surface, he felt something. He flipped the photo and found some date scribbled on it.

The date written made his jaw dropped on the floor.

It was a photo taken more than two hundred years ago.

Damn, are they part of some shady ancient clan or something?

"Huh. Dad might be a busy man, but he does not forget something as important as this." he silently mumbled.

Izuku felt skeptical, as if his father deliberately chose not to tell Izuku about this. And he must know why.

He kept the photo with him.

****

Izuku woke up with a jolt. Blinking, he noticed that someone was knocking on his bedroom door.

"Izuku?" his mom inquired before opening the door.

"Hmm?" is the only reply he can manage. He rubbed his eyes to get rid some of his drowsiness.

"You really outwork yourself yesterday dear, you overslept. Are you hungry?" his mom inquired while sitting beside him in his bed and pet his bed hair.

He leaned on his mother's touch. Call him momma's boy, he doesn't care. There's nothing much better than the sensation of his mother's hand petting his hair. He could do this all day.

Seeing his son relaxed on her touch, Inko chuckled.

"Izuku, as much as I like petting your nest of a hair, I have to help your dad prepare for his inauguration day after tomorrow. I already cooked katsudon, just reheat it if you're on the mood of eating it." His mom instructed. Then she tried to tame his hair before getting up from his bed.