Chapter 8: What Makes A Hero

Five months ago..

Ninety percent of Hitoshi's consciousness tells him this is a bad idea.

And the remaining ten says 'so what?'

Hitoshi hates bullies. He has a fair share of them, calling him names and provoking him. But being pinned on the wall on a dark alley with the clear intention of harming is something he can't imagine. Damn, some people really like to be extra.

He is hiding at the end of an alley. Just a corner away from his way home. A kid around his age was pinned by arm size thorns on both sleeves of his school uniform on the wall around ten meters away from him, whimpering for dear life. In front of the poor kid were three bigger kids with the same uniform as him. The middle one has thorn for a fist, and the rest looks unfortunately as dangerous.

He was just enjoying his walk home when he heard a shout from a far. Curiosity got the better of him and went to find the source. Now he's stuck hiding, most of his body wants to bolt out and look for help, but a small part of him wants to be the help the bullied kid needed.

The rule of thumb was majority wins, but not this time.

"H-Hey!"

Yes, he sounded very brave (note the sarcasm).

The three delinquents shift their focus on him. Great.

"And who are you.. " the thorn kid replied. Fortunately. And cue the activation of Hitoshi's quirk. The thorn kid eyes glazed and ready for his orders.

"Pin these other two kids on the wall" Hitoshi ordered. And the thorn kid obeyed.

Luck must be on Hitoshi's side, because the other bullies' struggles only got strong enough after they where securely pinned to the wall. Thus, his control has ended.

Now he just has to control thorn kid the second time to release the victim.

But thorn kid was a hell lot fast.

Thankfully, Hitoshi's reflexes were fast enough to avoid the thorn thrown his way aiming for his head. Damn, he could have died!

"That's enough!" came a voice from his back. Both him and thorn kid looked for the source and saw two grown men, one plain looking with black hair on casual business clothes under a trench coat while the other one was very tall but so skinny he could pass as a Halloween mascot with a ridiculous blond hair, a t-shirt and jeans, both were maybe four sizes too big for him.

The plain guy took out his badge (thank goodness he's a police officer) and looked sharply at thorn kid. The said kid was not that dumb to know that he is in trouble, though was dumb enough to try to run out.

"Toshi, take care of the kids here, i'll follow him." The police said. Toshi guy just nodded and the police followed the thorn kid.

Everything passed like a blur until Hitoshi noticed that the bullied kid is hugging him. The kid was bawling his eyes out, so Hitoshi just let him on his well-beloved personal space.

"Thank you so much!" The kid wailed for the nth time. "I really thought I was a goner there".

Hitoshi awkwardly patted the bawling kid on his attempt to calm him. Glancing nearby, Hitoshi saw the three bullies being reprimanded.

"You're lucky you're still underage, or you'll be spending the night or so in jail. And this is your final warning, if you got caught again, the police department is going to throw you at juvie." The police officer explained, and the bullies winced at the mention of the consequences. After the police officer was satisfied that the troublemakers understood the grave misdeed they did, he let the standby police patrol car take them so their parents or guardians can pick them up at the station.