Chapter 2: Harsh Words

"You broke my sister's heart! I can't believe you did that to my sister! I wasn't happy about you being with her in the first place but you're DIVORCING her after 20 YEARS of being married to her! You guys have kids together! What the BLOODY HELL did you do?" Ron yelled at Harry.

Harry had written Ron and Hermione a letter the day before telling them he and Ginny were splitting up. Hermione wrote back telling Harry he better come over to talk about it. 

Ron was steaming mad when Harry got there and almost immediately started yelling. His face was so red he looked as if he was about to explode, and he was screaming so loud that Hermione had to put a silencing charm on the room so they didn't wake up the neighbors.

Hermione didn't know what to say. Ron was her husband and Harry was her best friend; she hated when they fought. She knew Ron was being a little irrational when he didn't even know what happened yet, but she also understood how he felt. She didn't say anything for the time being, knowing Ron needed to just get it all out.

Harry felt like he should have predicted this was coming, he was so worried about coming out to Ron and Hermione, he forgot how mad they might be about the divorce. He deserved this from Ron; Ron was right. It was Harry's fault for staying married her for so many years when he knew deep down he was gay and couldn't really love Ginny.

After Ron yelled for a good 15 minutes, he seemed to be finally calming down. "You're right, Ron, you're right." Harry started, sitting down in the chair in Ron and Hermione's living room.

"Bloody hell, I'm right." Ron said, a bit out of breath. 

Hermione pushed Ron down to sit down on the couch. "Let him speak, Ronald."

"I thought I always loved Ginny–" Harry tried to begin.

"YOU THOUGHT!" Ron yelled now that he had air again. 

"Ronald, please, that's enough. Let Harry explain." Hermione said, always the voice of reason, sitting herself on the couch.  

"Guys... I don't know how to tell you this..."

"Just tell us, Harry."  Hermione said calmly, "Did your issues affect something?" She asked concernedly. 

"No, no. It doesn't have to do with that." Harry said, his eyes to the ground. 

"Then what? You can tell us anything, Harry." Hermione leaned towards him. 

Harry put his head in his hands and his elbows on his knees. Ron still looked angry but stayed silent. He was still worried about his best friend.

"Guys, I think I'm gay."

Ron looked star-struck. He was at a loss for words. Hermione looked surprised as well. Neither of them were expecting this. 

Hermione was the first to speak, "How did this come about? You just learned this? Are you sure?"   she asked in rapid succession. 

Ron was still staring blankly at Harry.

"I guess I kind of knew for a while–"

"Then why did you marry my sister?" Ron said finding his voice. He wasn't yelling but he was still angry. How could Harry pretend to love and marry and have kids with his sister for all this time? But his question was soon answered. 

"I didn't realised until after we were married. As I explained to Ginny-"

"She knows?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, she came to me. Told me how she felt like I've been neglecting her. With all the kids out of the house, it's just been the two of us, nothing to distract us anymore. Since Lily started school last year we both started to really notice there was a problem. Only recently have I finally been able to admit to myself that I'm just not attracted to her... in that way. I tried, I did. I wanted to make her happy. I love her and care about her... just not in the same way you two feel about each other." Harry glanced up at his best friends, they didn't seem to know what to do with the information they were being given. 

Harry wanted them to completely understand, "I never really had the time to think about it. By the time our lives finally started to slow down, Ginny and I were already married; James was born. I didn't want to believe it, that I was attracted to men. So I just ignored it; we were a family, and I didn't want to ruin that. I care for Ginny, I really do. But at this point neither of us are happy being together anymore."

"Just when it seemed like everything was perfect, you always have to mess it up." Ron said sarcastically. They all giggled as the mood lightened.

Ron was still a bit mad, but less so at Harry. He couldn't help but feel bad for him; Harry had been through so much and it seemed like he could never just be happy. 

"We love you just the same. You know that, right Harry?" Hermione said to Harry in seriousness. 

"Thanks, Hermione."

Ron then had a thought pop into his head.  He knew he shouldn't have to ask, but he felt like he just needed to make sure, "Harry... You don't fancy me right?"

"No! No, Ron!" Harry said defensively. "I could never think of you that way. You're my best mate. Just because I'm attracted to men doesn't mean I like all guys!"

"Ok. Good, 'cuz that would be weird." They all laughed as if they were still just three kids in their first year of Hogwarts again; but they had always been different, they never had normal lives... and it was looking like they never would.