Chapter 18: The Potter Children

Author's note: Still some overlapping times

Headmistress McGonagall was sitting in her office one Saturday evening when an owl swooped in. She untied the letter from it's leg; she recognized the rushed scrawl:

Minerva, Albus found out. Ginny and I need to come to the castle to speak to the kids. Does tomorrow evening work? I'll be waiting for your response to write to the kids and tell them we are coming. -Harry

She felt bad for Harry. She knew exactly what he was talking about and why it was so urgent. She wrote back immediately:

Harry, I'll have them in my office by 7. Come through the fireplace. -Minerva

***

The next afternoon, the day Albus told James and Lily that their father was gay, the two Gryffindors were sitting in the corner of their common room quietly talking about it. In fact, they had been talking about it since Albus told them that morning. They had tried to get more out of him after his outburst, but he ran down to the dungeons and locked himself in the Slytherin common room the rest of the day so they couldn't get to him. 

James was having a really hard time believing it. He always felt like he was very close to his father. How could his dad hide something this big from him? Why did he marry his mother if he was gay?

Lily was wondering the same thing. She was worried about mom, did she know? She and James had been asking each other these questions all day, but neither of them knew the answers. Then their prefect came up to them and they fell silent.

"The Headmistress wants to see you in her office." he said. They knew this was coming. They got up and left through the portrait hole. 

***

The prefect led James and Lily to the gargoyle and told them to wait there. They were soon joined by Albus and the head of Slytherin house, who gave the password, "British Short-hair" (Professor McGonagall had made the passwords to her office different breeds of cats). 

The three kids went up the stairs on their own. When they entered then circular office, only Professor McGonagall stood before them. She wipped up five chairs, two in front of three, and told them to sit. They sat next to each other in a row, James, Lily, then Albus, and stared at the two empty seats before them. Then there was a crackle from the fire and it turned green. Out stepped their mother and next their father. 

"You can have the office," Professor McGonagall said heading towards the door, "Just tell Dumbledore when your done." She looked at Harry and pointed to Dumbledore's portrait. Looking at it was still a bit hard for Harry, so he quickly glanced away. Professor McGonagall left and closed the door behind her; it was just Harry, Ginny and their children. 

The two adults sat in the seats across from the kids. Neither Harry nor Ginny knew how to begin, but Harry knew it was his turn to start. Albus had his arms crossed and refused to look at his father, so Harry turned to his youngest and eldest and started, "James, Lily, I have to tell you something."

"We know." James said without looking his father in the eyes. He couldn't bare to. He didn't mind throwing Albus under the bus because he was pissed about how he told him and his sister. How he didn't tell them right away. How he yelled it to them in the hallway. But James was even more pissed at his father for the lies and secrets that how seemed to be never-ending with him. James thought he knew his father, he was slowly realizing how wrong he was. 

Lily looked at her father's shocked expression and watched him slow turn to look at Albus, then sigh. 

"I'm sorry you had to find out that way." Harry said. Albus thought his dad would be very angry with him when he found out he had told his siblings, but when he looked up, Harry just looked sad. "I didn't know how to tell you."