Chapter 20: Brave at Heart

Trigger warning: talk of suicide/mental health

"On in five." a Ministry worker said peaking his head through the door. Harry was in a small room off the atrium in the Ministry of Magic with Ron, Hermoine, and Ginny.

"Thank you." Harry said and the man left. 

"The kids wrote back," Ginny said, "They understand why you're doing this, but they still seem upset." she said sadly. The kids had not written to Harry since his last visit to Hogwarts. Ginny had heard from them, and they all are ok with her and Neville. However it seemed like Harry being gay was harder to swallow. "At least we could give them the heads up this time." Ginny said. 

"Ya, well they were right. They shouldn't be learning stuff from the papers, they should be hearing it from me." Harry said sounding disappointed. He knew this wasn't going to change anything with his kids, that wasn't why he was doing it, but he was still upset about how bad his relationship with his children had gotten. 

"It's time for everyone to hear the truth from you." Hermione said putting a supportive hand on his shoulder. 

"You sure you want to do this, Harry?" Ron asked, "Just making sure, last chance to pull out."

"Thanks Ron, but I'm sure." Harry saw Ron smile supportively but nervously at him. 

"Good luck, mate." Ron said and then Hermione threw her arms around Harry. 

"Oh I hope it works, Harry." Hermione said pulling back. 

"Are you sure you don't want me up there with you?" Ginny asked. 

"No, I have to do this on my own," Harry said and then he added, "and I don't want the kids mad at you." He looked down at his watch and then back up to his friends. "Alright, go time."

Hermione, Ron and Ginny left a few seconds before Harry stepped out into the atrium full of reporters yelling over each other  and cameras flashing and people crowded everywhere anxiously waiting to hear what Harry Potter had to say. 

Harry Potter couldn't stand the lies and guesses and sucispitions about him anymore. Pretty much all his life he avoided the press. He almost never did interviews, despite being asked all the time. The only time he did was to make sure some of the history books about him were at least relatively correct, but he always avoided giving details. He didn't like talking about himself or his life to the public. So for years he lived letting people believe the lies published about him, but he needed to stop running from his problems, so he had arranged a press conference.

He stepped up onto the podium,"Sonorus!" Harry said pointing his wand at his throat and his voice spoke above all others, "Thank you all for being here. I've gathered you here today to clarify some things about me that were recently in the press." Harry took a deep breath, "It is true that I have in the past, and in lesser ways continue to, struggle with my mental health. And I have done so since the day I defeated Voldemort." The whole room winced but people knew that Harry Potter always used the name.

"As for having once attempted to take my life, I won't deny it. A lot happened that night when he summoned me to the forest that I have never spoken about and will not be speaking about today. I'll just say that I should have died that day. It was by some miracle that I did not."

"But all of that was nearly 25 year ago now, and I have not considered suicide since." That wasn't completely true, Harry had thought about it again, but he never planned on trying it again after that day. 

"The other thing I would like to address is the rumors about my sexuality." Harry paused before saying, "I am gay."

***

Draco was sitting in his house when he turned on the radio and heard Harry's voice, "...other thing I would like to address is the rumors about my sexuality." 

Draco jumped up and rushed to his fireplace, "Ministry of Magic" he said clearly, throwing the floo powder into the ashes. 

Draco hadn't really spoken to Harry since that day in Hogsmeade. He had the feeling Harry was ignoring him, and he knew it had to be about the kids. Harry had just confessed his love for Draco; there was no other explanation why he would suddenly stop talking to him. Draco loved Harry back, he understood what Harry must be going through, but he couldn't bare to lose him.   Other than his son, Harry was the best thing in Draco's life, but he was worried if he pushed, it would only push Harry away, so he had only written to Harry once and didn't argue when he said he was busy. 

When Draco popped out in the Ministry, there was a wall of people between him and Harry who he could see on a platform near the fountain. He could hear reporters yelling out questions, it seemed like Harry was done saying his piece and now he was going to take questions. Draco pushed through the crowd yelling, "Move, scum!" 

"Is it true you are dating Draco Malfoy?" one reporter yells over all the rest. Harry had yet avoided bringing up Malfoy; he didn't think it was his place to confirm that Draco was gay. "Uh..." Harry just said and then in the crowd he saw people moving and shoving around. Right in the middle of that, coming towards the stage, he sees Draco. Harry just stares, watching his love coming towards him. 

When Draco is right at the edge of the platform, he smiles up at Harry and then climbs up onto the stage. He plants himself right next to Harry, who was just frozen. All the reporters were waiting anxiously, Draco performs sonorous on himself  and says, "Yes. Yes he is."

Harry then looks to Draco and Draco looks at him. Harry has a strong urge to kiss him, but he doesn't want to do that right in the middle of his press conference. He settles for grabbing Draco's hand and interlocking their fingers. 

Together they answer questions about how long they had been together, and clarifying they were not at all involved during the Second Wizarding War or anytime prior to Harry's divorce. Harry answered questions about his sexuality explaining how he didn't realize he was gay until relatively recently. He answered questions on his mental health talking about his years of therapy and how the Ministry was always aware. Harry ignored any questions about more of what happened in the forest during the Battle of Hogwarts or details on his suicide attempt: those felt far too private and difficult to talk about. But Harry had Draco by his side for all of it, and that gave him more strength. 

"Lastly," Harry said as they were getting ready to wrap up, "I would like to announce my retirement from my position as Head of the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic." 

"Why?" A reporter immediately yelled even though they were no longer taking questions. 

But Harry answered simply, "It's time for me to lead a quieter life." turning to Draco and smiling. Although the reporters continued shouting, Harry didn't answer anymore questions on this. Still hand in hand with Draco, Harry walked off the stage.  

***

They met Hermione, Ron, Ginny, George, Luna, Molly and Arthur back in the room Harry had started in before the press conference started.

"Oh Harry! We wanted to peak in on you before but we couldn't even get through!" Molly rushed over fussing, "But I knew you had Ron and Hermione and Ginny there. You did so well dear, spoke very clearly, told your truth." She looks from Harry to Draco standing behind him, "Come here, you too dear." Draco comes forward, Molly Weasley had almost never spoken to him. "I was a bit worried about this when I first heard," Molly glanced between Harry and Draco. Ginny told her parents prior to the press conference, with Harry's permission, that it was true he was dating Draco, but Harry hadn't spoken to them himself and he didn't know how Mrs. or Mr. Weasley felt about it. "But I can see you two have something special here." Molly smiled at Harry and Draco. Harry breathed a sigh of relief.

"Can't believe you didn't tell me you were dating Malfoy, Harry!" George said putting his arm around Draco's shoulders.

Draco didn't know what to do with himself. He never had people like the Weasleys fussing over him with admiration and love. He had been so mean to the younger Weasleys. His father had been mean to Mr. Weasley. But here they were, accepting him without question. He couldn't believe it. 

"I always knew there was more to you than that tough guy mask you wore at school." Luna said in her usual odd way. 

 "Well, come now, everyone." Molly said,  "Let's head to the Burrow for supper."