TWO: settling in

"It's funny how all the things you love

can be gone in an instant."

"So, here's your room." Pepper said as she led little Alyssa through the house. Her room was bigger than what she had back in Colorado. It was a soft creme color with a chalk board accent wall. The bed was huge and covered in multicolored fuzzy pillows.

Alyssa gasped a little.

"Do you like it?" Pepper asked.

"Opal told me how much you like to draw so I thought it would be a nice touch."

"Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome Alyssa." Pepper said.

"Please call me Liz. I like Liz."

"Ok Liz." Pepper said trying out the new name.

"That's a pretty name." Pepper said. Alyssa started to walk around the room in awe.

"So, what do you want to do?" Pep asked. Her voice snapped Alyssa out of her daydream and pulled her back into the conversation.

"Um, I was actually wondering if I could spend some time alone." Alyssa said.

"Oh, ok. Well, if you need anything, I'll be downstairs." Pepper's excitement was visibly lessened but she tried to hid it. Don't get to energetic, not right now.

"Ok." Alyssa said.

Pepper started for the door and closed it gently behind her.

Alyssa let out a sigh and started to sob silently.

Why, why did they have to leave me?

Alyssa's pink bunny caught her eye. She picked him up and squeezed him gently. It was the first thing she ever got from her mother. Alyssa walked over to the balcony window and sat down outside. She picked up her sketchbook and started to draw what she saw. The waves crashed against the rocks and smelt of salt. The sun was starting to fall leaving the sky a beautiful pink, purple, and orange.

Momma's favorite color is purple.

Malibu was pretty and warm.

Alyssa stayed out there for a few hours before Pepper knocked quietly on the door.

"Liz, dinner is here." Pepper said.

"On my way." Alyssa responded.
She was ever so slightly starting to trust the red-haired woman.
***
Christine Everhart swiftly opened the door. She had turned to leave when her eyes locked onto the brown ones of a child. She let out a quick yelp which caused Alyssa to jump back too. Christine's makeshift dress fell a little and she quickly caught it.

"Um, hi. Do you live here too?" The girl asked.

"I'm well...uh new and still meeting people. This house is just so big-"

"No." The lady quickly responded. "I don't live here."

"Ok, well um. Do you have any clothes? I'm sure Pepper can find you some to borrow or something like that. She's nice." Alyssa smiled. She stroked her pink rabbit and rocked on her bare feet. She pulled on her pink polka dot pajamas.

"Um well, sweetheart...I was actually wondering if you knew where your father is?" Christine smiled. The baby talk rubbed Alyssa the wrong way.

Who does she think she is?

The girl shrugged. The blond-haired woman straightened the towel and quickly trudged down the stairs in search of the grumpy billionaire. "Fine, I'll find him myself." She muttered.