ELEVEN: I am Iron Man

"You've all received the official statement of what occurred at Stark Industries last night.
There have been unconfirmed reports that a robotic prototype malfunctioned and caused damage to the arc reactor. Fortunately, a member of Tony Stark's personal security staff..." The news reported said.

"Iron Man." That's kind of catchy. It's got a nice ring to it." Tony said reading the papers.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and scratched at her nose with her bandaged hand. The girl was just happy that Tony was okay. She really should start calling him dad. But, it still doesn't feel right. Even after all this time and(almost being killed by an insane bald guy) it still feels wrong.

"I mean, it's not technically accurate. The suit's a gold-titanium alloy, but it's kind of evocative,
the imagery, anyway."

"I mean. Iron man is good. Nobody is gonna go around calling for gold-titanium alloy man, that's just too long. Not to mention, boring by the way." The girl giggled.

"Oh come on kid, I almost just died. Give me a break." Tony smiled before playfully ruffling the girl's hair.

"Hey, don't touch that. It takes 2 hours in the morning." Alyssa groaned.

"I wake up before you and I know for a fact that that statement isn't true." Tony smiled.
The girl muttered incoherently and blew a strand of hair out of her face.

"Aww poop." The young girl mumbled. She had been out played for now.

"Here's your alibi." Agent Coulson said.

"Okay." Tony said.
Alyssa moves in closer to catch what the adults were saying.

"You were on your yacht."

"Yeah."

"What's a yacht?" Alyssa asked.

"It's like a big boat. I'll take you on it sometime." Tony smiled.
Alyssa nodded in understanding.

"We have port papers that put you in Avalon all night, and sworn statements from 50 of your guests."

What's Avalon?

"See, I was thinking maybe we should say it was just Pepper and me alone on the island." Tony smirked.

Pepper blushed and quickly tore off the bandage from his forehead.

The girl giggled and quickly high-fived her.

"That's what happened."

"All right."

"Just read it, word for word." Phil continued.

"There's nothing about Stane here." Tony said.

"That's being handled. He's on vacation. Small aircraft have such a poor safety record." Phil smiled.

"But what about the whole cover story that it's a bodyguard? He's my... I mean, is that...
That's kind of flimsy, don't you think?" Tony asked.

Alyssa nodded in agreement.

"This isn't my first rodeo, Mr. Stark. Just stick to the official statement, and soon, this will all be behind you." Phil said.

"You've got 90 seconds." Pepper smiled.
Alyssa hopped down from the table and went to straighten her skirt.

"Agent Coulson?" Tony asked.
This caused Phil to turn around to meet the two Starks.

"Yes?" He asked.

"I just wanted to say thank you very much
for all of your help and for letting me keep this cheeky little monkey right here. I don't know what my life would be like without her." He pulled Alyssa into a hug.
Phil smiled and turned to look at Tony.

"You're welcome. I'm glad she has you. But remember, if you so much as lift a finger. I will hunt you down and kill you." Phil smiled.
Tony laughed awkwardly and unknowingly backed up slightly.

"Bye Big Al." Phil smiled and pulled his niece into a big hug.

"Bye, but not forever." Alyssa smiled.
It was the routine phrase the duo would say when Phil would leave on missions.

"Bye, but not forever." He responded.

"Tony, take good care of her for me and remember, You'll be hearing from us."

"From the Strategic Homeland..." Alyssa started.

"Just call us S.H.I.E.L.D." Phil smiled.

S.H.I.E.L.D, I like it.

"Right." Tony mumbled.

The girl pulled out a thick book and tried to ignore the world around her. She vaguely remembered Tony and Pepper talking before she was fully immersed in the fantasy world.
***
"And now, Mr. Stark has prepared a statement.
He will not be taking any questions.Thank you."

Alyssa stood next to Pepper in the back of the conference room. There were too many people. The girl tugged on her skirt once more. It seems to be habit by now and was anxiously listening to what her father had to say.

"Been a while since I was in front of you. I figure I'll stick to the cards this time." Tony smiled.

You better.

"There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway and the rooftop..."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark, but do you honestly expect us to believe that that was a bodyguard
in a suit that conveniently appeared, despite the fact that you..."

Oh great, it's her.
Alyssa rolled her eyes and sighed.

"I know that it's confusing. It is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate that I'm a superhero." Tony continued.

Super hero, yah right!
The girl rolled her eyes.

"I never said you were a superhero." Christine continued.

"Didn't? Well, good, because that would
be outlandish and fantastic. I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list
of character defects, all the mistakes I've made..."

Yes, many.
"largely public."

"- Just stick to the cards, man." Happy whispered.

Alyssa muttered a thank you and crossed her arms against her chest.

This was gonna be a long day.

"Yeah, okay. Yeah." Tony continued.
The girl rolled her eyes and sighed once more.

"The truth is..."

"I am Iron Man."