Chapter One: With or Without You

Five years later

Samantha woke up to the annoying screech of her alarm clock. She smashed it, and sat up groggily.

Another day, another battle.

She slipped out of bed, before being happily reminded, by her watch, that it was Saturday. She grinned; there was no time for homework, art waited for no one.
There was a movement from underneath her bed, and she let out a shriek as she grabbed her slipper from the floor. The thing came out from under the bed, and Samantha slapped her shoe into its head, whilst screaming agressivly, "DIE YOU EVIL CREATURE OF DARKNESS!"

She gasped when she realized she'd hit her dog on the head. The golden Labrador was giving her a stare that said, "was that necessary?"

"Oh shoot, sorry Sandal."

The dog's real name was Sandy, but as a baby Samantha had been unable to pronounce it, and had called her Sandal. The name had stuck.

The dog barked at her, and Samantha pushed her away, whilst mumbling, "Come on then greedy guts."

In the quiet kitchen, Sandal ate noisily, as Samantha silently chewed her soggy cornflakes. She eye unwillingly wandered to a picture on the wall of her and Jason. It had been their first day at a theme park. For a few precious moments, Samantha allowed herself to slip back in time.

"Hurry up, Sam!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Samantha was panting, before she suddenly lost sight of her best friend.

"Jason?!" She called, worried. There was a laugh, and she turned to the source of the noise where Jason was peeking out of a box. Samantha growled and ran inside, unaware that she had just entered a photo booth.

When she got in, Jason grabbed her around the neck and shoved her into him, just at the moment when the photo was taken.

And there you had it. Jason had been smiling widely like an idiot, with both arms around her, and Samantha had managed to look cross and surprised at the same time.

She smiled wryly at the memory. She finished up her milk sodden breakfast, before going and getting changed from her sleep ruffled pajamas.

She emerged wearing a navy blue hoodie and some jeans, along with some Converses. She also, for one, took some time to brush her hair. Samantha had rebelliously dyed a chunk of her hair white, so now there was a streak of bland among the sea of brown.

Grabbing her sketchbook, some spray paint and her pencil case, she ran out of her apartment.

Samantha's mother was a single woman, who worked all day, and occasionally night, to keep the flat and pay the school fees. Her father had left when Samantha was very young; they'd met once, two years ago, and it hadn't been a good experience.

The dad had left with a large bruise on his shin, where Samantha's trainers had kicked him.

As she walked out onto the street, Samantha stared at the different shops that were littering the streets. She caught sight of where Jason and her had gone on their first official, unofficial, date.

"Is this a date?" Asked Samantha curiously, as Jason pulled her into the coffee shop.

"No! God no. It's just a friend thing." He walked to the counter and pulled out his wallet. "And I'm paying."

Samantha shrugged. "If you say so,"
They both ordered a large hot chocolate each, and sat down at a small table by the window.

"How did you come to know this place?" Asked Samantha.

"I used to try a steal stuff from it," Jason said.

"Ok?... That's normal."

They passed the time vigorously discussing the new Star Wars movie, before their drinks arrived.

Out of the blue, Jason nervously asked, "Sam, would you come here again? Like, with me? Just us?"

Samantha shrugged, as she took a loud slurp of the froth on top of the mug. "Sure,"

A stupid grin went all over Jason's face.

They had exited the coffee shop pretty much happy, after Samantha had pushed for a muffin. Ok, maybe three muffins, with her consuming the larger portion, but yeah.

"So... Same time next week?" Asked Jason eagerly.

"Ok!" Samantha said cheerfully. Jason couldn't contain himself, and latched onto her. Samantha was surprised by this. "Jason, what in the world-?"

She was cut short, when he pressed his lips to her cheek. "See you next week, Sam!" He yelled, running off.

"Dog," Samantha mumbled, pressed her hand to her cheek. She didn't know that after that small interaction, she'd actually fall for a useless male.

Samantha walked down the backstreets of Gotham, before she found a little area to spray paint. She pulled a cloth around her mouth, before beginning her hard work.

An hour later, she had produced something pretty adequate. She ran off, before a gang caught her.
The wall now had a painting of Robin with big capital letters above him, saying "WE LOVE YOU BOY BLUNDER".
All in a day's work for an artist.

Still, it wasn't like anything had changed.
Nothing was the same without Jason.