Chapter Three: "I don't know you"

Arkham Asylum was the same as usual; quiet, except for the off shriek of a mentally unstable soul. Batman had banned Samantha from coming into the cell to see the Joker, and he had a good reason. He knew that if he let her anywhere near that... Thing, she would kill him.

And that was how she ended up standing against the wall outside, impatiently tapping her foot.

Only one thing was on her mind.
"How did he know my name?" She murmured. She'd taken every precaution to make sure her identity had been locked away. She didn't understand...

Batman and Nightwing emerged from the room, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Well?"

Nightwing shook his head. "It's not him."

Samantha cursed under her breath. They went back to Gotham short on information; but not short on work.

-

Nightwing fired the harpoon at the helicopter, and it was a direct hit. Red Hood had stolen it, and apparently, it was full of ammo.

"You know what I miss most about running with you? The toys!" Nightwing grinned.

"I get to use those full time," Samantha teased, and Nightwing gave her a look.

"Stay sharp," Batman ordered, clearly not enjoying the banter. "We're not done yet."

Then the helicopter fell over the edge, and Samantha didn't think twice. She jumped over the edge, ready with some ropes. Then she looped them around, as the vehicle came dangerously close to the buzzing motorway below.

Batman closely followed, and with combined teamwork, they managed to stop it before it hit the road below, rotors spinning and all.

Nightwing quickly swung past on his cable, catching Batman, who then in turn grabbed Samantha.
The thing that was bugging her though, was that now they'd have to chase Red Hood.

And so they did. In through scaffolding, through dirty buildings, jumping across rooftops. At one point Red Hood leaped onto a Zeppelin and they had to stop at a corner to avoid gunfire.

"He's good!" Nightwing said.

"Yes, he's putting on quite an show," Batman said, running again, as they chased some more.

"He's very good!" Nightwing commented in disbelief, as the guy cut Batman's rope before it came around his ankle.

Red Hood went flying down from the building ledge and grabbed a rope. Samantha saw where this was going, and quickly jumped after him.

"Batgirl, wait!" Batman shouted, but she went crashing through a glass roof, where he had gone.

"She hasn't changed." Nightwing sighed. "She's so similar to-"

"Come on!" Batman cut him off.
Inside the train station, Samantha sat up, feeling the glass around her body. She groaned, and stood up, ignoring her crying limbs.

"I thought you wouldn't do that," she heard Red Hood joke. "But who am I to judge? You haven't changed a bit."

"And who are you to judge that?" Snapped Samantha, quickly raising her fists. His next statement surprised her.

"I'm not going to fight you,"

She blinked. "Why?"

"I have my reasons. You could have figured it out by now, but you were always the hot tempered one."

Samantha stared at him, scared to break eye contact. There was no emotion beyond that mask, she tried to tell herself. He was empty, full of lies. Now that she was closer to him, she could see that he was not much taller than she was.