Chapter Fifteen: Sorted... Kind Of?

And so, Batgirl started her long trek around the city, looking for Red Hood. Samantha took her sweet time, pausing every now and then to beat up some robber, or even just to throw intimidating glares at any suspicious looking people.

However, as half an hour passed, she knew she was going to have to actually go and talk to Jason. The realization was really annoying, and it made her feel especially stubborn and uncooperative. With a small sigh, she turned a street absentmindedly again, and then began to consider seriously where the male might be.

On top of a roof was most likely, so she was going to have to get up there first. After hoisting herself onto a three storey building, Samantha sat down heavily. She again started to think, but her train of thought was thrown off track, when she heard the thump of a person sit next to her. She didn't even have to look, to know it was Jason.

They sat there, in an awkward silence, each one waiting for the other to start. And since Jason wasn't relenting, Samantha guessed that it was up to her to get any kind of conversation going. Usually this had never been hard between her best friend and her, however, last night had made things very uncomfortable.

So the one burning question that had been on Samantha's mind made its way out of her mouth, "Why did you kiss me?"

She instantly regretted it, but uncharacteristically kept her mouth shut, as Jason shifted beside her. "Well, I dunno," he answered gruffly. "I thought it was obvious."

"It really isn't," Samantha deadpanned, still expecting a decent reply to her query.

"If it wasn't clear enough, I like you."

Samantha took a break. She just needed a moment to process what he'd said. "You... Do?" She asked stupidly, her brain still rattled.

"Yes," Jason said irritably. "And I know this is bad timing and all, but I mean honestly, I've wanted to be more than your best friend for a while now."

Was she even hearing this?

"Don't expect me to know a lot about all of this love business," Samantha mumbled, pressing her knees to her chest unhappily.

"Does that mean-" Samantha heard Jason spin around to face her.

"Yes, I'll go out with you. Yes, I've liked for a while now as well. And yes, you are paying." The girl said, avoiding his gaze.

"Smooth," Jason commented, "I thought that was my job."

"Don't put things into boxes," Samantha said, swinging her legs over the ledge. There was the hiss of Jason's helmet coming off, then more silence, but this one was comfortable, peaceful.

She then heard Jason groan, "Oh God, Sam, please take off the stupid mask, I hate it,"

"Alright," Samantha huffed, pulling it down, to reveal her mouth and nose, "you don't need to-"

She was cut off abruptly, when Jason leaned over, and pressed a needy kiss on her lips. Samantha was still relatively new to the whole lip contact thing, so she just closed her eyes and hoped she was doing it right.
She ended up pulling away for air, damn oxygen.

"You have... Quite a set of lungs on you, Jason," she panted, shocked at the fact he was breathing perfectly normally.

"I am the Red Hood, Heath," he chuckled, before swinging an arm around her shoulders. They sat for a bit more, until

Samantha broke the silence once more.
"How the hell are we going to explain this to Bruce?"

Jason shrugged, "You tell me."

"Not helpful, Jason," Samantha snorted, folding her arms.

"I don't know though," Jason insisted.

"Obviously," the girl grumbled, kicking her feet.

"Don't turn on the sarcasm right now, Sam. Just live in the moment for a bit, won't you?"

"But Bruce-"

"Bruce can go suck a-"

"Sheesh, ok, no need to get mouthy."

But Samantha relented, staying quiet for the next half hour they spent there together. Maybe this relationship thing wouldn't be so bad.