Chapter Twelve: Prom

Samantha was slowly getting used to her new, slightly different, life. Jason would pop by every other weekend, just to see how she was doing.

However, as a fortnight passed, she found herself facing a new problem.
Prom.

Every half term or so, her school would host a dance. Samantha usually went on her own, but this year, for some stupid reason, they'd made it mandatory to have a date.

Well, as if she wanted to go to a dumb dance. She didn't have time for it; besides, she was still revising, so there was no time for fun.
She then made the mistake of bringing it up with Jason. They had quietly been in her room, she looking through some old physics papers, and he reading a book she'd recommended. The book had in fact been recommended to her by a close friend of hers, Emilia Brookston.

"You done yet, Sam?" Jason asked lazily, flicking a page.

"No," Samantha replied crossly. "I still have to go through energy resources and- crap, that reminds me, I need to revise the advantages of nuclear power stations!" She stood up, and frantically pawed through the overflowing load of papers on her desk, pushing a few folders onto the floor as she did. They exploded, showering the ground with extra practice paper work. Samantha let out a yell of frustration, as she hurriedly knelt down, and began scooping up the scattered revision.

"Hey, hey, hey!" She heard Jason get up, and pull her up, as she stamped her foot in annoyance. "Cool it, Sam!"

"I can't! I bloody well can't! My mocks are in a month, and if I don't pass, I will-"

"Shut up," instructed Jason, and for once, Samantha listened. He gently lead her over to her bed, and pushed her onto it, before sitting down next to her, avoiding the papers on the floor. "Listen to me, Sam. You've gotta think carefully, you can't just spend all the time revising! The school has to give you a break! Did they like... Hell, I dunno, put up anything?"

"Nothing," Samantha replied. "There's only some idiot prom happening, but-"

"Right," Jason said, getting up. "You're going."

Samantha blinked, and snapped her head up at him, as if waking from a trance. "What?"

"You heard me, you're going!" He said, thoughtfully gathering up her papers from the floor. "I don't want to see you like this Sam, you need to have fun!"

"B-but Jason," Samantha spluttered, "you have to have a date! It's mandatory!"

"Fine," Jason answered, shrugging as he put her revision neatly on her desk. "I'll go with you."

That just shattered Samantha's psyche. He could not be serious. "You can't," she stuttered, "everyone'll asume we're a couple, and-"

"Sam," Jason snapped, kneeling down in front of her. "Just the other week, you let me sleep at your house when I was out of this world drunk. I need to return the favor."

"Is that your only reason?" Samantha asked skeptically.

Jason smirked. "Not exactly. I'd kill to see you in a dress."

She'd forgotten all about that. "God no," she mumbled, running a hand through her hair, as Jason laughed.  "Wait!" She said triumphantly. "It's actually cosplay, you need to come as a book character. Therefore, I don't need a dress!"

"Darn," he groaned, as she smiled, relieved that she wouldn't suffer the humiliation of wearing a dress. It wasn't that she was opposed to them, it's just

She was still freaking out though. Her? Jason? A date? What?

This was unreal. He left an hour later, leaving Samantha to actually start contemplating what to wear for her costume. She'd never given these notions a second thought, but now she knew that Jason was going to around... Wait, what?

That made no sense! She couldn't care less if he was going to be there or not, why was she even thinking about it?

Because you care and you know it, came a sly voice in the back of her head. Huffing angrily, Samantha stormed over to her bed, and sat down, folding her arms. As she gritted her teeth, her green eyes wandered to her rather small bookshelf. Samantha was not an avid reader, but ever since Emilia had made her read "An Inspector Calls", she had actually been hooked. Now, the shelves were slowly filling up with well known reads, such as Bleak House, and Emma. In fact, she'd recently been getting into James Bond, though she was extremely skeptical of the sexist scenes in there.

What if she went as a female James Bond? Samantha stood up, and crossed the room to her rather pathetic looking wardrobe. She rummaged absentmindedly through her special occasion clothes, which there weren't many of, and found a white boys button up shirt with a tie. Then she searched for some trousers, in which she was unsuccessful. Samantha began to consider phoning Jason, and telling him to drop the idea, when in the corner of her eye, she spied a knee length navy blue skirt. One that she'd never bothered to wear, but if she didn't have trousers...

She sighed, and picked it, putting it with the other clothes she'd picked out. Samantha stared, unimpressed with her so called outfit. All she needed now, was a stupid bowler hat.
So she walked to her mum's room, and after searching for five or so minutes, she found a gray one. It would have to do.
She placed it with the rest, and then scuffed her feet on the floor.

It was just a bloody prom, what was she getting so worked up about? It was idiotic. She grimaced, and sat down at her desk, with the unhelpful question buzzing in the back of her head, of what Jason might be going as.
As if she cared. Samantha Heath never cared.

-

The night arrived, and Samantha found herself checking her appearance for the sixth time. She shook her head, and stalked the room anxiously. She was nervous, stressed and excited all at the same time. Not the best combination. In fact, Jason had called her saying he'd see her at the dance, meaning she was going to have to do the usual routine of walking and catching the bus to school.
Samantha was pretty nonchalant, but she was really stressed about what Jason would think of the outfit. She would have to wait and find out. Grabbing her coat, which was specially for the suit, she walked out of her room with a sigh.