Chapter Ten: Flirting Practice

A/N: Hey my lovely peeps who stick around to read this! I just wanted to ask if you're liking how Samantha's character is, or if I should add anything... I'm going for a kinda tsundere vibe with this. If you don't know what that means, it's a type of character that is initially hostile and agressive towards their love interest, however they occasionally show a sweet warm lovey side. I've never written for a character like this, and I have to say, it's pretty difficult, because if you've read my other fanfic, my other OC is polite and shy, not angry and assertive. I'm basically juggling two personalities at once... Ah, the joys of writing. Anyway, I'm rambling, enjoy the story, and thank you for sticking around!

After around a week, things were starting to go back to normal, whatever normal was supposed to mean. Bruce had decided to give Jason another chance, and had made him come back into the family.

There was a tearful reunion with Dick, and an awkward one with Barbra, who was quietly ignoring the fact that he'd cheated on her.

Samantha was trying to ignore that fact he'd dated at all. It gave her an odd sensation in the pit of her stomach whenever Jason went off on a ramble about some chick he'd seen the other day.

It seemed that his innocence had disappeared too. All he talked about was wanting to sleep with someone, and secretly Samantha was getting darn sick of it.

But it was still amazing to have the idiot back, even if it did mean she was putting up with his rude jokes.

Even so, things went a little downhill, after Jason's sudden reappearance. Samantha often went on patrol with him, and it was a little disconcerting, whenever he confided in her that he'd secretly bought his guns along. She was too afraid to lose him again to tell Batman.

So she kept quiet for once in her life. She didn't argue with him, she didn't object to his opinion.

In fact... Samantha had to face it. She was slightly scared of him.

Just the way he seemed so different was unnerving enough, but the fact that he trusted her implicitly, terrified her to the core. Of course, he'd always trusted her, but these were with bigger things, not just that he was dating a girl three years older than him.

Samantha was torn in two. She couldn't decide whether to inform Bruce that Jason might still need a leave of absence, or keep going on like this.

One night, he noticed her flinch slightly, after he had shot a final robber.

"You ok?" He asked, through his helmet. Samantha nodded, not finding the strength to talk to him right now.

She went back to the manor for an hour, feeling more bothered than usual. She immediately excused herself to the gym, and began to beat the crap out of a punching bag. She must have hit it too hard, because a minute later, it was on the floor, sand pouring out.

"Wow," came a dry voice. "What did the punching bag ever do to you?"

Samantha turned, hoping it was Dick, and was a little disappointed when she saw Jason instead.

Wait. She was disappointed? Why? He'd been dead for three years, and now... She didn't want to see him?

Samantha shook the feeling off, and quickly replied, "I needed something to hit."

"Did you now?" Jason said casually, pushing off the wall he was leaning on. This caused some of his hair to drop in front of his eyes, making him look ruggedly handsome.

Samantha made a face, as he started to stroll over, unhelpfully noticing that her heart was thumping louder than usual.

"I'm an angry person," she muttered, tightening the wrappings on her fist.

He laughed, and she felt her body shake. What the hell was going on? What was she feeling?

"I came to ask you something," Jason said, flicking a cigarette out of his leather jacket. Samantha proceeded to make another face, as she watched him put the smoke in his mouth. Without thinking twice, she slapped it out of his mouth.

"Don't smoke!" She snapped. "It's really bad for you!"

He gave her a look that said 'really?', then continued to speak, whilst taking another cigarette out of his pocket, causing Samantha to roll her eyes angrily.

"How do you tell someone you like them?"

Samantha was a little stunned by the question, but returned a query of her own. "What type of like?"

He blew out a smoke ring, and she wrinkled her nose. "Mmm... Like, like."
The hell? Did this mean Jason liked someone?

"Jay..." She said, slowly and deliberately. "Do you have a crush on someone?"

He shrugged, "if that's the kiddy term for it, then yeah."

Things were getting weird. Samantha cocked an eyebrow at him. "Are you sure this isn't another one of your one night stands?"

He sniggered, "No."

"And why do you want to tell them?" She continued, folding her arms.

"Dunno," he said, looking away. "Just thought they should know."

This was too wholesome. Even before his death, Jason had never been into any mushy stuff like this. Samantha was so skeptical, she was about to launch in an assault of questions, but then quickly reminded herself that he needed help with this. So she composed herself, before sighing.

"I honestly don't know, Jason. Love has never been my area of experience. You know that." Then she grinned a little. "Who's the lucky human?"

"Not telling," he said annoyedly.

"Yet," Samantha added sharply.

He gave her a stare, and said, "Why are you so interested, anyway?"

Samantha raised her hands in surrender. "Hey, you're the one who wanted help."

"True, true," he sighed. There was an awkward silence, before Jason said, "So. Any ideas?"

"Umm..." Samantha scratched the back of her head. Then she had a brain wave. "Say it like this!" She said excitedly. Jason listened attentively. "So," she explained, hastily, "you ask them, 'what if I hypothetically told you, that I liked you?' and because we're going to asume they do like you, they'll probably say, 'well I'd say I hypothetically like you too.' Now, then you say, 'what if I took the hypothetically part out?' then wait for their reaction."

"That's a lot of instructions," Jason said skeptically. Then a small smirk made its way into his face. "Hey, how about we practice? With you and I?"

Samantha was lost for words, but she dumbly nodded. "Kay,"

"What if I told you that I hypothetically liked you?" He said it with so much emotion, that Samantha actually thought it was real for a second.

"Well I'd say that I hypothetically liked you too," she answered, trying to keep a grip on her bubbling feelings. He came very close to her, and she could smell the smoke in his breath.

"What if I took the hypothetically part out?" He whispered, leaning his forehead on hers.

Oh God almighty, she was going to die of heartburn.

"Than," she mumbled, "I... I'd tell you to quiet smoking, if you want to be my boyfriend!" She burst out.

Jason started laughing. Samantha tried to join in, but was too busy recovering from the encounter.
"Your wish is my command, princess," he laughed, sauntering out of the room. "Thanks for the help, Sam."

"A-any time," she stuttered. Then she almost fainted, when he took out his box of cigarettes, threw them in the bin, and winked at her before he walked out.