Chapter Fourteen: Confusion

Samantha's fist came in contact with a guy's face. The satisfying crack of her clenched hand ramming across his jaw spurred her on, prompting her to kick the moron in a rather intimate area.

She was not in a good mood, to put it bluntly.
Firstly, her mother was to be away for a week on a business trip. Not that Samantha didn't see her that much already, but it was just a nice feeling to know she was still in the city. Not anymore. Thank God that Blüdhaven had Dick, or she would journey there to protect her mum personally.

Secondly, school. One bad result after another for her finals, had pushed her self confidence so low, it was almost at rock bottom. The last time that had happened, was when Jason had died.

That followed onto the third point. Jason. She hadn't seen him since Prom, and when they'd said goodbye, he'd kissed her again. The nerve.

Samantha was incredibly conflicted about this fiasco with her long time best friend. On one hand, she felt like it was a bad idea to date a fellow vigilante. Besides, wasn't that a big no no it's Batsy's book? Whatever. She didn't abide by his rules half the time. But, she wanted to experience this "romance" thing, even if that did mean shutting out Bruce for a bit.

Samantha was very conflicted, confused, but above all, angry. And that was what found her beating the living crap out of a mob boss, on the side of a deserted road.

She kicked his stomach, earning a grunt from the man. He was already bruised and battered, but Samantha felt like she was far from done. Lifting the guy up by his collar, she smashed him into the wall, before saying quietly and dangerously, "Tell me when the next shipment is."

"I don't know," the man stuttered, struggling in his grip. Samantha gritted her teeth, before thumping him against the wall again.

"You're the one who's running the damn operation, idiot! Now tell me when it is, or I'll find some of your crack, which you sell to kids, and make you smoke the whole lot of it!" Samantha bellowed, shaking the man violently.

"I don't know! Wait, umm, Thursday, I mean, Sunday!"

Samantha took a moment to contemplate just how absurd this fool's answer had been. She then pressed his head against the bricks, causing him to whimper. "You dingbat," she snarled, applying pressure, "you think I'll fall for that? How dumb to you get? Tell me," she shook him again, "or I'll force feed you your LSD and stuff your ugly teeth down your throat!"

"Alright, alright!" The man screamed, so scared that a wet patch was forming where Samantha had kicked him earlier. "It's tomorrow, ok? Tomorrow,"

Samantha dropped him without another word, then watched him, as the man ran off, a stumbling, wheezing mess. Usually, the girl would have smirked, but tonight she would need some more people to kick around than usual. Spinning her heel, she turned around and started down the street, almost like she was hoping for a robbery to occur.

"That was unnecessary," Batman's voice stopped her.

She twisted her head to see him, before shrugging, "If you stick around long enough, you know the information."

Batman didn't sigh, but the look on his face said that he was annoyed. Even if only a little bit. The two continued to stare each other down, until Batman said, "That's not why I came though."

"Oh?" Samantha raised an eyebrow.

"Red Hood wants to talk to you,"

Samantha froze, her senses overloading. This was not a good time. "Tell him I'll pass," she said nervously, scuffing her foot against the floor, her angry facade dropping for a moment.

"What happened?" Batman asked.

"Oh, nothing really," Samantha mumbled, avoiding the Dark Knight's stare.

"He kissed you." Batman stated, making Samantha's head whip up.

"How did you-"

"I'm Batman." A flicker of a smile darted across both of their faces. "Go talk to him," Batman advised. "It'll be better for the both of you. Remember what happened in Tess of the D'Ubervilles?"

"Oh my God!" Samantha raged, recalling how much she hated that book.

"I heard you ranting with Red Hood about it," Batman said, watching the girl carefully. "You two are close. But I know that he wants to be closer. And I know you do to."

Samantha scoffed, closing her eyes for a second. "Don't be ridiculous, Bats. How can you know all of that any-"

She opened her eyes, and sighed irritably, when she noticed he had disappeared.
"I really hate it when he does that." She muttered. "He didn't even tell me where Red Hood is."

A/N: heeeey... Sheepish wave. I've been super busy, so I hope this satisfies your nerves. I will try and update more often!
Znimz