Chapter Four: A Bit Too Familiar

Batman was never really worried, but this was a code red.

Samantha was panicking because she'd never thought about the possibility of Red Hood being...

No, it couldn't be. He wasn't Jason Todd, she was sure of it. And so the next night was just like any other, fighting crime, bearing up some thugs...

Until they saw Red Hood, getting the crap beaten out of him by assassins. Batman motioned to Samantha, and she put up her hood. Then they dropped down.

"What the hell took you so long?" Red Hood asked dryly.

"Shut up!" Snapped Samantha.

"And fight!" Added Batman. Moments later, three of them were unconscious on the floor.

"I gotta say," Red Hood commented, "I've missed watching you work!"

"Look out!" Samantha yelled, pushing him out of the way, as the fourth and forgotten assassin leaped for him. Batman was quickly beaten, and then Samantha took out her sticks to fight, when Red Hood pushed her away.
"He wants me, not you."

"And who's to say your the boss of me?!" She retorted. He put a finger under her chin, and forced her to look at him.

"I'm trying to save you here, sweetheart,"

Then he started to fight the man, leaving Samantha an angry mess. However then he got pinned.

"Let him go!" Batman said, taking out his taser. "And step away."

"A taser?" The assassin scoffed, and pushed Red Hood up against him. "Nail me, and you'll electrocute both of us!"

"Maybe that's what he has in mind," Red Hood said quietly, before striking him in the face with an explosive. The guy's face started to flash, as he stumbled back, screaming in pain.

Then his head exploded, leaving his blood like graffiti on the wall.
Samantha's eyes widened.

"No!" Batman said, slightly shocked.

"Just be glad I only killed one of them!" Red Hood snapped. "They're all assassins!"

"And what are you?" Samantha said, rapidly swallowing the sick in her throat.

"I'm cleaning up Gotham! More than you ever did!" He turned to leave.

"You're stealing territory from Black Mask, and killing anyone who gets in your way."

"Black Mask... Is just a part of the plan."

"Plan? You're becoming a crime Lord!"

"Yes! You can't stop crime! That's what you never understood! You want to rule them by fear, but what do you do with the ones that aren't afraid? I'm doing what you won't, I'm taking them out!"

There was a silence, in switch Samantha's heart beat so fast, she swore he could hear it.

"Tell me what happened. Let me help." Batman said, stepping forward.

Red Hood hesitated for a second before saying shortly, "It's too late. You had your chance," he threw a smoke bomb, and Samantha stepped back wearily.

"And I'm just getting started," Red Hood finished, before he disappeared into the smoke.

Luckily, Samantha's mask had a built in breather, so she was alright. However, she then saw Batman approaching a sword in the ground with someone's blood on it.
She knew exactly who's.

-

An hour later, both of them were sitting in front of the computer in the Batcave. It was analyzing Red Hood's blood, to see if it matched with Jason Todd.

Samantha was praying to God that it didn't. Batman was looking reserved and quietly concerned.

The bold letters on screen showed up as 'analysis complete.'

And then there was the word match, stamped in great big graphic letters. It was stamping all over Samantha's heart. There was a loud crash from behind, and her and Bruce turned, to see Alfred with the contents of his tray all over the floor. He was at first shocked, then sorrowful.

Samantha was about to cry. "Who did it?" Her eyes darkened. Whoever had done this to Jason was going to pay; she would make sure of it.