Chapter Five: He's Alive

The grave was empty. Jason Todd's grave was empty. A fake body, was all that was within the coffin. Samantha almost ripped the thing to pieces. Batman also held a look of anger.

"Stupid, and useless," he muttered, getting out of the hole, and going back to the manor.

Samantha followed, a dark expression taking ahold of her features. She caught up to him, and asked coldly, "Where to now?"

"To talk to the the man who did this," Bruce growled.

-

The ride to the Count's house was a quiet one, filled with the tension between the two people in the car.
Batman was angry, but he knew that he could never match Samantha's rage right now. As he stared at the seventeen year old, he could see the anger coming off her in waves. He'd been Jason's father, but he could see that they had been much closer than him.

Meanwhile, Samantha was thinking of inventive ways to kill the Count who had done this, then the Joker. Bruce wouldn't stop her this time. She swore on Jason's life that she would send that disgusting, psychotic lunatic through hell on Earth, and then end that insane, tyrannical murderer. Her green eyes narrowed as they approached the house.

"Batgirl," Batman said quietly, "stay calm."

Samantha was anything but calm. She was about to explode, perhaps go on a killing spree. But right now, she only wanted to wipe one pathetic presence off the planet.

Joker was going to pay, and no one was going to stop her. Even if Jason told her not too...

She wouldn't hesitate to drive a sharp piece of metal through the maniac's ungrateful chest.

"We're here," Batman stated, getting out of the Batmobile.

Samantha got out too, and with speed that would have made the Flash proud, she brushed through security like cobwebs. When she found the man who had caused all this pain, she jumped onto him, and held her black staff to his throat.

"What did you do?!" She yelled, not bothering to keep her voice down.

"I can explain!" The Count stuttered, trying to push her stick away.

"You have five seconds to give me at least one reason why I shouldn't kill you!"

"Batgirl! Enough!"

"If you let me reach my communicator, I can call off my guards." The Count reasoned.

Samantha slowly got off him, but kept her staff trained on him. "Do it,"

The man reached into his belt, and told the men outside to stand down.

"Now," spat Samantha. "Talk."

The Count got up, and slowly walked to the window, before he began.
"You remember when we last met in battle?"

"You were blowing up banks," Bruce snapped.

"Inaccurate, inelegant. I was in the midst of toppling the economy of Europe. But you were onto me. I sought a distraction. So... I hired the Joker. When you and Robin's paths crossed in Bosnia, it was to look as if you'd stumbled upon. Then... He murdered the boy."

Samantha visibly stiffened.

"But that was not by design. I'm afraid I overestimated my ability to control the Joker, just as I underestimated his madness. It grieved me, sir, to be a part of something so brutal."

"You've never shied away from drawing blood," Batman said, clearly suspicious.

"True; but always with purpose, with a greater goal. This was simply an unnecessary casualty. As penance, I chose not to make war with you again, and to attempt to... Rectify this disturbance."

"Rectify?!" Repeated Samantha, eyes widening.

"Yes. I had hoped to return to you what you had lost. I have walked this Earth for over a thousand years. As you know, I do this by rejuvenating in the waters below this very mountain, the Lazuras Pit. Along with it's healing abilities, it has long been rumoured to be capable of an even greater feat; to raise the dead."

Samantha could see where this was going. Her best friend... Was now killing people.

"Precuring the remains of your partner was not difficult. You had left for Bosnia under the guise of Bruce Wayne, and chose to leave as such. You even concocted the story about young Jason dying in a bombing in Sarejevo. This made it easy for me. All it took was a few payoffs to replace his body. Well... My plan, detectives. It had... Unfortunate results."

Bruce's fist tightened. Samantha locked her eyes to the floor, just so that she didn't have to look at the Count.

"He returned to this world... Damaged."

Samantha felt so sick so this whole gig. Her whole life had been plagued by the undead. Her father had been presumed killed by police. Her best friend presumed murdered.

Even Bruce had almost died in an inferno a month ago, and hadn't shown up for a fortnight. Again, presumed dead, until he knocked on Samantha's door with six gunshots on him, and more than a couple of bruises.

"He screamed, and fought off my guards. Then he jumped out of the window. My army searched for months, but we never found a body. I presumed him dead, yet again."

The only useful thing out of this was to never presume anything.

"But I hear you have been having trouble at home."

The Count turned away, and looked out to the darkness of night. Batman nudged Samantha; they had what they needed.

They left without a trace, only scarred by the new knowledge that now couldn't leave their minds.