00

A U G U S TA F T E R

A U G U S T
A F T E R

NEWT WAS ALONE.

     There were multiple thoughts flooding in his mind of one particular person.  A person that became very important to him. He paced back and forth around his dimmed bedroom unable to gaze away from the floor. Newt's heart began to race at the sight of the clock. The clock ticked faster and louder as his surroundings became a blur.  There were tears in his eyes.

     He stood in the middle of the room indecisive what to do next. The room felt as if it was getting smaller. Newt felt trapped in his own mind. But at the moment had no idea where to go. Then came an image of her beautiful face in his unclear mind of the struggling moment when her own tears streamed down her angered face. Her eyes were sad, her body shook as she splatted out words that were not meant to say out aloud. Shouts were exchanged between the two of them followed by a regretful decision as the memory faded quickly.

     He felt extremely cold and exhausted. His body shivered to the unknown coldness of the room. The sound of rain finally overcame his ears, making him to look up at the closed window of his bedroom. It was pouring heavily on that late night, almost reducing his stress.

     Although alone in the apartment, Newt could still hear Tina's voice from all four walls. It was something he didn't like to remember but he couldn't help blame himself for the mess he created. The truth was that Newt only wanted to help Tina so she wouldn't suffer like he did. It was difficult to avoid something as delicate as the past. Tina knew he was being helpful but at that moment of anger she didn't mean the words she said. None of the words meant anything but they were said either way.

     Newt felt scared for what would come the next day. He isn't prepared to say goodbye. Time was passing. He wondered what she was doing right now.

     Tina doesn't want to see him again. Never again... Newt thought to himself, worrying so much about Tina. I can't do anything now unless I-

     Next thing he knew there was a loud knock on the apartment door, taking Newt back to reality. He stopped pacing immediately as he questioned who was at the front door late at night.  His first and only thought was Jacob Kowalski- it was his apartment after all.

      The short distant walk from his room to the door, Newt hopelessly thought to see Tina in the other side of the door and everything would be okay. He obviously was wrong. He knew it. He arrived to the front door and slightly cracked open the door.

     Newt's face mixed with shock and confusion at the sight of his older brother Theseus came into view.

     Theseus stood with a concern look on his face. Newt didn't know what to do. Theseus was supposed to be in London at this moment, why the bloody hell he was standing in front of him.  Newt almost wished he was imagining his brother but it was impossible to ignore. The two brothers stood in silence for a moment to gather their words. Theseus waited as Newt opened the door wider and there was nothing between them.

     "Theseus," Newt said in almost a whisper. "I-I don't know what to- why are you here?"

     For the second time tonight, Newt quietly cried as he allowed Theseus to wrap his arms around him, pulling him into a warm hug. It's been so long since Newt and Theseus embraced that it brought Newt old happier memories of the two brothers he wish he could relive. Theseus felt the weight of his brother once they embraced and couldn't help feel sorry for what Newt was going through. He didn't know what happened. All he did know was that someone called for him and gave him an address where Newt was staying. He didn't hesitated to find his brother. He missed him dearly after all.

      Newt finally let go of his breath he been holding and the heavy weight in his chest disappeared.

     "Let me help you, Newt." Theseus said in his ear. "I won't go this time. I promise."

     For the first time in a very long time, Newt did believed in his brother's words.

———