02

WHEN NEWT FIRST SAW TINA GOLDSTEIN, IT WAS HIS FIRST DAY BACK TO NEW YORK

After his flight from London, Newt meant with his good friend Jacob Kowalski. When Jacob saw the sight of Newt from afar, he gave him a nice welcoming hug which Newt accepted and gave him a small bag of his baked goods before driving back to his apartment. Newt thanked him multiple times over the long drive for letting him stay at his place and Jacob beamed that he was staying.

Jacob looked better than he sounded over the phone, Newt noted once they arrived at Jacob's apartment. After Jacob parked the car, Newt hesitated to ask him about the aftermath of his situation. His hand shook as he thought over and over whether to ask just to make sure his friend was doing fine with his life.

"Newt?" Jacob asked, interrupting Newt's thoughts. "Something wrong? Are you home sick already? Are you feeling okay with every-"

Newt shook his head and looked at him with a concern expression. "N-no it's nothing like that don't think that I don't appreciate being here...If you don't mind me asking, how are you holding up, Jacob?" Newt asked slowly, searching for the right words to say.

"About Mildred?" He replied sadly.

Newt nodded and watched as Jacob gave him a heartbroken smile. Instantly Newt regretted to ask.  "Well the marriage is off after she left me in the middle of the night without a note or nothing else. It...it was hard for the first few days...but I'm feeling a bit better now thanks to you, Newt."

"Sorry about what happened."

"Nah don't worry about it, it's like what you always say 'worrying makes you suffer twice' right." Jacob laughed a little to lighten up. "But seriously I'm just very happy you came here to see me, buddy. And I mean it. Now let me show you my new apartment and get you settled in shall we. I been excited since your last call you know."

The both of them got out of the car and Jacob retrieved Newt's case from the back seat then entered inside the apartments.  Newt followed him, towering over the shorter man. They took the stairs instead of the elevator due to it being broken and managed to survive the long distance to his back to his room. By the end of the trip up the stairs, Jacob was exhausted and accepted Newt to carry his own case back to his room.

Once inside, Newt was amazed at how clean and pleasant Jacob's place was- almost made him feel home too deep inside. He really did miss his best friend. He remembered the first time he traveled to New York to have ideas for his book and prepared to go back to Europe until he accidentally bumped into Jacob with his wild pet ferret he kept named Dougal.  The mischievous ferret made a mess in Jacob's old job at the local bakery that almost got him fired but Jacob was absolutely pleased meeting Newt. The rest was history and their friendship only grew even after traveling back to London.

Maybe this time is permanent Newt thought to himself. He could at last allowed himself to leave his brother,Theseus, back at home and start new life here in America. He instantly pushed back the thought of his older brother. It was a relief for Newt to arrive back to New York where he found things to be simpler- not that he found London to be a bad experience but the only problem was of Theseus. He can't help him anymore...

Jacob continued to be cheerful soul and gave Newt a quick tour of his place. By the end of it, Jacob presented a spare room that became Newt's official room.

"So um Newt," Jacob said. "If you don't mind me running off to the local market to get some ingredients for the vegetable soup that I'm making for dinner tonight. You can meanwhile settle in and rest."

Newt smiled. "Not at all. Can I walk around the apartment? I-I promise I won't make a mess of things like the last time." Jacob laughed and Newt smiled slightly bigger, happy to see him laughing again.

Shortly after Jacob left with a list of groceries, giving Newt the whole place to himself. He stayed inside his given room to unpack his belongings. Inside his case there was the following: a few old fashion clothes, his minimal writing stationary, a passport, a map of New York, an alarm clock, and a torn but sentimental picture framed. The picture was of his old friend named Leta Lestrange. It was a picture taken when he went to school before he was expelled. It was a long time ago actually.

He truly did miss her but she was gone now- never to return to his life again. After all, she was the reason why the Scamander brothers relationship became strained and painful.

Newt looked around his room, putting the framed picture of Leta hidden inside his case, and fought back tears.

A lot had changed in his life it was sometimes too much for him to handle. He wiped his face with his sleeve and walked out of the room. He decided to talk his walk around the apartment building to clear his mind from the negativity.

When Newt walked outside the apartment, he spotted someone coming up from the stairs across from the other side of the building. Newt quickly head back inside to avoid having a conversation or being noticed. He preferred to be left alone at the moment. He peeked his head out and saw a woman.

Newt never seen a beautiful woman quiet as her. The small glimpses he caught of her face made him blush. She looked to be as tall as him and her long coat complemented her figure quite nicely. She had long dark hair covering her face that Newt couldn't fully see her. When she glanced up, Newt finally was able to see and realized she had a long face. There was something missing about her that although Newt never met her before, this doesn't feel right.

     He looked away to the floor because he felt he was staring at her for far too long. But he was curious about her, he wanted to know her. So he peeked his head out again.

     She carried a bag in one hand and the other hand clenched a letter closed to her. She struggled to find her keys from out of her bag. Newt gathered all his courage to help her, but she already managed to get them out. As the woman entered her apartment, Newt went out and closed the door behind him. He was alone in the hallway. He signed to himself and began to walk down the long series of stairs to the main floor. He hoped to see her again and possibly try talk to her.

Newt doesn't meet her until a week later after that and finally learned the name of the woman. And her name was Tina Goldstein.

     Looking back, when he looked over his shoulder and saw her curious face staring back from him to the box of kittens, he froze.  He didn't know what to say or do. He became nervous and clumsy. He haven't noticed he dropped the keys and once Tina gave it back to him. He struggled to place the key in properly. He could just imagine how red his face turned when Tina entered inside with him, helping carry his bag.

He doubted Jacob would of believed a girl helped him and managed to remain with him without feeling annoyed. He was aware how easily he could annoy people which is why people rarely liked him. Although he didn't care, he wanted her to like him.

As he faced Tina, he saw that this person was a different version of Tina that he actually liked. Unlike the person he saw the first time. She had a beautiful smile and her laugh was lighthearted. He hoped he didn't made a fool of himself but nevertheless felt happy that he had a name. Once again, he hoped to see her more often.

     To his surprise, they saw each other more often after that.

———