06

THE SCAMANDER BROTHERS WERE VERY CLOSE UNTIL TRAGEDY STRUCK A YEAR AGO

     Before the tragedy, Theseus Scamander was the one who watched over his younger brother Newton Scamander. Though they grew up in the same household with two loving parents, their father was always prouder to the eldest brother. He praised him to be the perfect son. Newt in the other hand was just there in their father's eyes.

     The father never understood Newt's career into becoming an author or researching the many mythical wonders around the world. Newt knew that his father loved him very much but would always be a disappointment. Theseus felt very guilty most of all. He somehow knew it was his fault of the cracked relationship between his father and his brother. Though Newt never once blamed him.

     When their father passed away as the brothers became men, they remained to be close and tried to fix their wounded relationship that their father created.

     So on a particular Sunday morning, Newt woke up to the sound of hard thumping downstairs and glass shattering across the floor. He immediately jumped out of bed and went out of his room as quickly as possible toward Theseus direction to the kitchen. With widen eyes, he found Theseus down on his knees picking up the small shattered pieces of glass with shaking hands.

     "Newt I-I didn't mean to wake you up." He said, not realizing he was cutting himself. Newt wasn't sure if he was purposely grabbing the glass tightly in his hands to bleed but he stepped in. He knew Theseus was still in pain, pain that followed him constantly with guilt and nightmares that Newt couldn't help him face. He had to do it all alone.

     "No you didn't Theseus," Newt replied, already by his side. "Please get up. I'll clean that up...get up now."

     Theseus didn't move. Even as Newt grabbed him from his shoulders he didn't dare move. There was an unsettling anger growing inside him.

     Newt didn't want to repeat himself so he bended down to start picking the pieces carefully.  He was quite but knew he was being watched by him, which gave him a bad feeling. Theseus stared back at him silently and his eyes grew darker.

     "Stop!" Theseus screamed. Newt looked back at him startled and confused. "Please just stop picking those up. Why the bloody hell are you even at my house!? I never asked for anything."

     Newt's mouth fell slightly open unable to process what had become of his brother. Slowly Newt backed away from him and stood, glancing down where his brother sat on the floor. He was trying to search for the right words but his thoughts were racing. It was a very long time ago since Theseus snapped at Newt.

     He tried to find his voice and already knew he choose the wrong words. But Theseus had to hear it from him. "Leta died Theseus, that is why I'm here. Look at you. You haven't been taking care of yourself Thes, I'm concern for your health. You aren't you, I know time has change so much. I'm sorry for what happened...." Newt said without raising his voice unlike his brother.