Chapter 1

Bridget sat on the port bench with two suit cases full of her stuff. Clothes and supplies were what filled them. She glanced at her port pass as she bundled up in a scarf and heavy jacket. The freezing weather of her homeland could reach temperatures below 50 on some days. Today wasn't so bad, only -10. She couldn't wait to go on her first expedition to a foreign land. Someplace warm as they promised.

The smell of the frozen polluted ocean filled her nose. Heated cars drove on the streets of the snowy city. Fishing boats with liscenced fishermen and hunters went to Dracul Isle to hunt their deer for their meat and fish in the cold waters. Always being watched by Frost Dragons to whom the weather doesn't bother. They have travel borders and are strictly dictated on where the humans can travel to.

There were a few others waiting to go on the expedition but they weren't civilians. They were military merchs. She knows why she is going with them. They weren't the first to go to this forbidden place. Being around military men would make her feel safer. If something were to happen, they'd know what to do. She looks to her right where her grey city laid. Large frost dragons guarded the borders keeping humans contained. No human could leave here without permission from the dragon kings of Dracul Isle and when they could it's considered a privilege.

Leonidas arrives at the docks and is only carrying a bag, he has his rifle strapped on his back, and his 2 glocks holstered at his thighs. He's wearing a beanie, a sweater, sweatpants, gloves, face mask, and a bulletproof vest all in the shade of black. His skin was bleached from the lack of sun he receives daily but he had the accent and culture of a Hispanic. He was arriving a little late to the boat.

The lieutenant was at the edge of the port leading everyone in and checking off who was there. When he saw Leo come rushing in he raised his voice, "You're late, Private! Why?"

As he is boarding the ship "My apologies sir. I was cleaning my weapons."

He walked with him and put an arm on his shoulder, "listen, Kid. You have a full two weeks on the ship to do that. Not like we're shooting anything today." He then walks past him but then turns around to see Bridget still sitting on the bench, "Ms. Welder!"

Bridget got spooked almost yeeted her port pass off into the sea, "Whoa! Yes! I'm here!" She stood up frantically grabbing her things then rushing into the boat past the two men, "scuze me sorry coming through."

The lieutenant shook his head, "you're in charge of the zoologist for being late, Leonidas. I expect better," then he went on to marking everyone else who showed up on the boat.

Leonidas nods at his leader's command then studies the girl for a bit. Based on her accent she's British and seems to be very clumsy. Typical blonde. He then proceeds to walk around the ship to have a good look around.

With the rest of the soldiers on the ship, as well as a guard Dragon, the Lieutenant calls for a meeting at the cafeteria and expects everyone to be there. The ship begins to leave the port and cuts through the thick ice of the Vex waters with ease.

Bridget hears the announcement over the intercom. She grabs a notebook and walks down to the cafeteria almost losing her way to it. The boat was huge holding over 500 soldiers and their dorm rooms. Luckily for her she doesn't have to sleep with a group of them. She was able to get a little room of her own not far from the captain's quarters where the lieutenant slept. There was a shower, a sink, a small window by the small dusty bed, and many many filing cabinets where she can put her heaps research in.

Leo proceeds to the cafeteria still sharpening his knife. To him his weapons are like a body part. If not taken care of nothing will function and you will die. It's become a bad habit at this point. Always taking things apart and putting them back together. Cleaning it for the satisfaction of it.