Back to Our Roots

So what exactly is a SmackDown, anyway? A SmackDown, or SD, is a heated writing contest where contestants are given text-, music- and visual-based prompts, and then they write a short story around that, following which they're judged for their eff...

So what exactly is a SmackDown, anyway? A SmackDown, or SD, is a heated writing contest where contestants are given text-, music- and visual-based prompts, and then they write a short story around that, following which they're judged for their efforts and either move on to the next round or they get eliminated from the competition. You daring individuals will compete against each other to eliminate all others and claim the title of Sole SmackDowner!

But there's gotta be some kind of twist, right? For this one we're waxing nostalgic, we're looking back into our past.

We're going back to our roots.

We've all looked back fondly on something at least once. For instance, I just looked back fondly to a time when I had more money in my bank account, and then I felt sad because now I do not. This new SmackDown is all about that. You know how people talk...

Remember how it used to be? Things were simpler back then, weren't they? Not as much drama. Nobody got offended about anything. Everyone was happy. It would be nice if we all went back to the basics.

What does that even mean? Truly nothing, but it's something people say in order to make themselves feel better, or something. (Or because they're jaded fucks who can't handle how things are improving for previously marginalized groups.)

But what does it mean in the context of this SmackDown? It means we're keeping it simple: no uber-gamey stuff like the last one. Where MadMike's Revenge was all about adding a Survivor element to an SD, Back to Our Roots is the exact opposite. BTOR is pure. You'll get some prompts and away you go, writing against your competitors.

The people with the lowest scores for each round will be eliminated, with the number of people eliminated varying with each round. Yes, you will be scored, and scoring criteria will be adhered to by the team of judges.

Prompt Adherence
Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation
Story Enjoyability

Each category has a maximum possible score of five points, meaning a grand total of fifteen points for a "perfect" story.

The SmackDown is ideally set to begin at the end of March, and it is open to everyone, no matter your popularity, no matter how well you write.

Understood? Any questions—post them in the comments, or you can PM directly at MadMikeMarsbergen, and I should be able to answer them.

But that isn't all, folks. To enter this SmackDown, you need to write up a little entry tale. Check the next part for the details on that...