Round 3: The Block - @Holly_Gonzalez

The Block

by Holly_Gonzalez

To Humandroid Central: this is synthetic unit KLEA-47. It is local cycle thirty-seven in Wattopia, roughly the duration of an Earth month since my activation here, given the inter-dimensional discrepancies of my new environment.

You manufactured me for the twenty-four-hour time frame of the Earth dimension, thus the fluctuations here in the Zone prove a challenge. Regardless, my systems have adjusted as necessary.

After the mandatory period of quarantine and upgrading, I have achieved some stability within the colony. They have assigned me to a position in the infirmary. It is fascinating. I hope to learn more about humans through these patients under my care.

Of my recent challenges, I am uncertain about a nurse in the emergency wing. Most of my colleagues conduct themselves with professional courtesy. Few offer more than a nod in my direction. This is acceptable. However, this woman tries to converse with me in great detail.

Her name is Tilly Malosh. I always engage her according to etiquette protocol, though I hesitated to answer her today. She asked if I wanted to hear a story. It was a spontaneous question. I understand the nature of creative language within rhythm and structures, but I know little about its social value. Tilly's offer tested my algorithms to their extent. I opted for a delay and now seek clarification.

Is this woman appropriate in her request? Also, what are stories in a human context? May I have the committee's permission to explore this subject further?

Please forward my questions to the appropriate department. (End feed.)

***

To KLEA-47 of Wattopia Fleet 10: Greetings! I'm Mark from Humandroid Central. Thank you for your discretion regarding human-synthetic relations. I'm pleased to be your correspondent in this case.

Your questions are exciting to us. I'll enlighten you as to why in a moment. First, I'll answer your questions as the committee has instructed me.

You asked what stories mean to us humans. It's difficult to explain, but I'll do my best. Stories are expressions, our literature and mythology, everything we can dream, think, sing, or speak. The perfect story is like a never-ending quest or epiphany, and at its best is a mirror of human consciousness. If you'd really like to learn about humanity, you should start by immersing yourself in the engaging stories all around you.

You've likely encountered many stories in Wattopia. It was founded after the great interdimensional merge of 2057, an experimental habitat sponsored by Wattpad, the greatest literary distributor in the multiverse. Stories are the life's blood of the colony, its economic drive, the common social denominator. Wattopia itself is an ongoing story. You'll discover much more as you settle in.

The committee asked me to tell you about your true identity. Understand, you're unique among your synthetic counterparts. You're a prototype shipped out there for a very specific purpose--the first of an experimental series, custom-ordered by Wattopia itself, to serve its resident authors. A manufactured muse and critic, if you will.

The most sought-after writers' colony in the multiverse has big plans for you, dear KLEA. You were introduced with no knowledge of your intended purpose in hopes you might awaken, make your own decisions, and form your own relationships over time.

Everything's coming along swimmingly. You have the committee's full clearance to proceed as you like. Please read and listen to as many stories as you can.