Round 3: Rite of Passage - @painebook

Rite of Passage

A Short Story from the World of Paine Universe

by painebook

The mothership hurtled through space. Forty-two plasteel globes, linked together by loading tubes, made up the cobbled-together colony ship. The home planet was a speck in the distance as the monstrous craft gradually increased its speed.

There were plenty of things that required attention, like the farming globes, the zoo globes containing habitats from various regions of Earth, three mining and manufacturing globes, and globes containing housing for the eighty thousand people escaping to another world. But some of the inhabitants began making mischief.

"I'm so f-ing bored."

"I've got an idea. I know where we can ...."

Ashley Miller, the leader of the expedition, called for Marcus Pace to meet her on the bridge.

"We have a problem only you can help me with."

"What about getting Paine in on this? He's the chief of police." Marcus scratched his head, looking around for his best friend.

"I have a special request for you to take on this problem. It comes from the Sub-Saharan Africa Globe zookeeper. She thinks you will be the best person to handle a delicate situation."

The door opened as Kendrick, Ashley's assistant, ushered in a tall, thin, middle-aged black woman.

"Marcus, this is Mrs. Orok-kiteng'."

"Please call me Bibi." She extended her hand to Marcus, who engulfed it is his own.

Her hand was rough from hard work. Marcus could feel the callouses and raw strength in the slender fingers. "Pleased to meet you, Bibi. What is it you think I can do for you?"

"I need a man." Bibi smiled at the surprised look on Marcus' face. "Not that way. You are quite handsome, but I know you are a happily married man. Besides, I've heard stories about your wife. Not someone I would want to have mad at me."

Laughing, Marcus ran his hand over his scarred face. "I wouldn't exactly say this is handsome. But you're right, Katrina wouldn't like it if I strayed." He indicated that Bibi should sit down. "Please explain why you need me."

"When I was asked to become the zookeeper for the African Globe, I jumped at the chance. My family members are all gone, due to the fighting that took their lives in Kenya. All I have left is my grandson, who I brought on the voyage. I thought escaping the troubles on Earth would allow him to survive." Bibi sighed, clasping her hands together in her lap. "He is still a boy, and boys get into mischief."

Ashley called up a video of two young males sneaking into the zoo enclosure.

Marcus watched as the boys chased through the grassland, scaring antelope and gnus. The grazing creatures ran from the sprinting boys. Suddenly, one of the gnus was attacked by an old lion. The boys stopped their chase and ran back to the entrance.

The gnu escaped. Roaring loudly, the lion turned to discover easier prey. The smaller of the two was not quick enough. Ashley shut off the video as the lion took down the fleeing boy.

"I've watched the recording to the end. My grandson left, leaving his friend behind." Bibi dried her tears, took a deep breath, and stared at Marcus. "He is still a boy, one who needs to become a man. There are no Maasai men here to take him through Eunoto, the coming-of-age ceremony of my people. I want you to do this."