Round 3: Man Lost - @TEBramble

Man Lost

by TEBramble

One could say that you could live in that place forever. I certainly could. Fresh air, water, greenery, land... family, one could have whatever they wanted over there... it was... paradise. No doubt about it... but it was a dream, a memory of a bygone era.

An era when humans walked the earth.

- Hadrian Godfrey.

-//-

Hadrian Godfrey was startled from his sumbler by the gentle tickle of the soft cold summer breeze. The warmth of the yellow sun sprung him from his rest among the long green grass of the southern hills. He looked around the wavering whispers of western winds interrupted, if only briefly, by the amusing moo of grazing cattle.

He smiled, he was rested, he gazed upon his triumph as the cows drank from it. His hands were dirtied, his shirt, sullied, his pants caked with layers of dirt, but he did it. He stretched out with all limbs, well rested and not a single ache left in his body. This was perfect.

His watering canal was complete. His heart swelled with pride as he watched the water flow in and pooled inside the paddock only to be guzzled up by thirsty beasts. He arose to his feet, greeting the air with a relieving inhalation. The smell of grass and water reaching him up upon his hill.

"Hadrian... Hadrian." Called a woman with her sweet voice from afar.

His smile widened as he turned to face it. His heart melted as he saw beauty, smiling and walking towards him.

The sensation of wind was gone. Soon sound fled him and numbness took over. He lashed and cried out his beauty's name with all his had as panic, dread and anger took over but he felt nothing, heard nothing. His hands felt no purchase. His mouth found no voice. Soon all faded into an endless void.

-//-

A feminine voice spoke in an unknown language. Hadrian tried to look around but darkness was all there was. Then a masculine one responded and a flash of bright white light flooded into his eyes, stunning him as it faded and light flowed into once more. He looked around only to find a mystery.

Strange pillars of ancient metal held up a terribly decaying roof, screens and monitors everywhere made the walls. Some flickered on the brink of death while others still shone strong showing whatever information they have been fed. A few are left dead, after a lifetime of servitude.

He looked down around and next he found strange balls of light floating and flying around. Such alien things they bore the nature of bees buzzing about, hard at work obsessed with one task or another. Some were white while others were blue, they were fascinating little mysteries, each one.

The voices came again, more apparent and distinct and darkness took him one more time. Soon his senses returned to him and he found muscles to flex, bones to move and fingers curling. Next he found legs to obey his commands as they lifted his body into place, standing in this crumbling room.

"Emergency eject complete. System shutting down." The voice said, echoing throughout the halls.

Godfrey shuddered in horror as all the lights around him went out and silence reigned. He wandered about, utterly lost in the dark. Soon he finds his way to a lever. Feeling it he sighed with relief as he remembered its purpose. He pulled and hisses of pressurized air burst free all around him and the door next to him dropped open, blinding him with sunlight.