Round 3: The Old One Awakens - @CJG1988

The Old One Awakens

by CJG1988

Quinn peeked cautiously from around a fig-tree as his grandmother tended the odd spiky plants of her garden. His face was hidden from the full-spectrum light cast from high above as he crouched down to stalk. Slowly he crept closer trying to surprise her, but she was one of their most revered elders for good reason. Her connection to their home had always been the strongest of their village and as such, Quinn was still yet to get the jump on her.

"I can feel you back there, little one," Isadora cooed over her shoulder as she stood up.

"No fair!" Quinn squealed as he shot up from his hiding place. "You always hear me comin', Izzy," he sulked as he closed the gap. Isadora turned to her seventeenth grandchild, now just over twelve cycles old, with a warm smile to greet him.

"No dear, not with my ears, but with my bones," she corrected with narrow eyes.

Quinn rolled his young eyes. "You always say that, Izzy, but it makes no sense!" he snapped, screwing his face up. Isadora chuckled as she extended her left arm to coax him over.

"Now, now. You will understand in time, young one. For now, come here and give me a cuddle."

"Okay," he smiled. After a warm embrace, Quinn looked up with his adoring eyes, "Izzy, which is your favourite spiky plant?"

Isadora giggled. "Cacti dear, they are called cacti. And, I can't really say I have a favourite, but if I must..." Quinn nodded with gusto to imply it was indeed a matter of fact. "Alright, I'll pick this one," she smiled as she pointed to a cactus at her right.

"What's it called?" Quinn asked.

"Golden torch," she smiled.

"That's a funny name," hummed Quinn whilst deep in thought. "Should be a spiky torch," he laughed.

"But, they are all spiky, Dear," replied Isadora with a giggled. "Tell me Quinn, where is your father today?"

Quinn scrunched his face. "He went after that boar herd that ate some of our veggies last night. He took all my brothers but said I was still too little," he sulked.

"It can be dangerous for little ones outside of the villages, Quinn. You still haven't undergone your awakening ritual yet," explained Isadora.

"That's what Father says too, but it feels like forever waiting," he sighed.

Isadora smiled. "Not long now, Dear. That's why I wanted to speak with your father. I've nearly finished carving the bone for your ajna."

Quinn's face lit up. "Really? Can I see? Please, Izzy. Can I? Can I?"

Isadora held out her hand with a heartwarming smile and led Quinn inside her home. She sat him down as she poured some tea and then produced a small ornate box carved of bone.

Quinn reached out taking the box and opened it gently. Inside, he found his nearly complete ajna bone piece. His eyes widened in horror as he picked it up.

"Why is this end so sharp?" he asked holding it up in dismay.

Isadora's sweet face turned rather cold as she looked him straight in the eye. "We don't glue them on silly."

Quinn's gaze returned to his unfinished ornament, then back to Isadora's very own that adorned her forehead. He continued to roll it around his fingers, observing the unique details his grandmother had put into the face of the piece. But as he turned it over again to see the 4mm spike that protruded from the back once more, he winced at the thought of having it bestowed upon him.