Round 1: Taken Aback - @painebook

Taken Aback

by painebook

"We are many. We are one. We have seen what you have done to this world, and who is responsible. We demand punishment. We demand repayment. We do not forget." Chevalier stood on the bridge of the mastership.

What exactly do you wish?

"I speak for the people of Earth. We want to control our own destiny. You're interfering with that goal. We want you to leave Earth and take all of the chippers with you."

What are these chippers you speak of?

"People you've tainted with the biological enhancement enabling them to speak directly to you and other artificial intelligence."

I do not understand. Why do you want them to leave so badly?

"It isn't right that some have more power than others." Chevalier looked at the hologram in front of him. "You control them with your interface. I can't allow that to happen to my people."

Those with interface capability have free will like you have. They access information but make decisions on an individual basis. We do not influence their cognitive processes.

"I don't believe you."

Flesh and blood beings have rights under our system.

Remembering he was speaking to an AI, Chevalier chose his words carefully. "As the leader of the humans, is it my right to demand that you leave the planet, taking all your technology when you go?"

It is.

"That is exactly what I want to happen."

Very well. It shall be done as you requested. You must return to the planet's surface. The process will begin once you land. All humans with biological enhancements will leave the planet. The technology the Galaxy Community introduced to you will be removed. Purification will take twenty-four of your hours. You have that long to prepare.

"Prepare for what?"

What you asked for.

The ship landed in the gardens at Versailles, headquarters of the Free Earth Movement. Stepping out of the hatchway, Chevalier raised his arms over his head in triumph, crying out. "I have done it! We will be rid of the Chippers within twenty-four hours. Earth is ours once more."

Chevalier reveled in the adoration. He stepped through the cheering crowd, leaving the well-wishers behind. Entering his office, he initiated a call.

"Hello, Andre. How does it feel to be a galactic orphan?"

His son looked at the screen. Pity filled his eyes. "I listened to your conversation with the AI. You asked that all technology developed by the Galaxy Community leave Earth. You do realize you are dealing with a very literal entity, don't you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Scouts have been visiting this planet for more than a thousand years. Most scientific breakthroughs made by humans were derived through information provided to people by the visitors or developed by those they enhanced with biological chips."

Shocked by the knowledge his son provided him, Chevalier blustered, "That has nothing to do with what I asked."

"I'm afraid it does." The look on Andre's face changed from pity to anguish. "Father, I know you hate me for the advantages the chip gives me, but this is madness."

Looking out the window, Chevalier could see an armada of interstellar ships blocking the sun. Thousands of drones descended from the ships. Vehicles and equipment began to disappear in flashes as the machines destroyed technology.

"What's happening?"

"The AI has determined that all things derived from its knowledge are included in your request."

"I have to contact it, to stop this."

"Father, it's too late for that. You're getting exactly what you asked for. I won't be seeing you again. Enjoy the First Millennia."

A drone entered the room, vaporizing the computer and most of the furniture in the office. Its single eye focused on Chevalier.

Excuse the intrusion, human. You need to evacuate the building. It will be dismantled in thirty minutes.

Andre sat on the bridge of the command ship. He watched as lights went out on the surface below. Entire cities crumbled in the wake of the craft cleansing the planet.

This has happened before. We have a blueprint for bringing the planet back to an older existence.

"I don't understand." Andre searched the database through his interface but found no record of anything like this occurring in the past. "Can you show me what transpired?"

Certainly.

Images of a civilization played in Andre's mind. A world more advanced than late 21st century Earth appeared. He observed monumental buildings, a thriving planet full of people.

When we first found your planet, the people had nothing. They were fighting for survival in a dangerous environment. We gave them food, shelter, clothing, medicine, anything they needed. They wanted for nothing. Then they began to question our motives. Wanting to run things, they began to attack us, like those people below us now. Seeing what they could become, with their evil ways, we refused to allow them to take control.

"What happened?"

They asked for us to leave them as we found them. Like your father, they had no idea what they requested.

The scene changed to billions of naked people on an almost sterile planet. The buildings were gone, except for a few ancient structures scattered around the globe.

This time, we went more slowly, thinking humans would change. We were wrong, misjudging human nature. They made the same mistakes, only it took longer to occur.

"You left the pyramids." Andre's head hurt from the rapid influx of information. "Why would you do that?"

They were here the first time we arrived. Your planet hosted a civilization older than ours at one time. We did not build them, therefore, we did not tear them down. It is logical to leave them standing once more.

"Nothing remains?"

Both times we came, humans threw our gifts away. Like before, they brought destruction upon themselves. We are many. We are one. We have seen what has been done to this world, and who is responsible. We demand punishment. We demand repayment. We do not forget.

Never again.