Qualifying Entry - @CJG1988

With her reports finished, and her application for leave sent through, Sonja deactivated her holographic monitor and stood up from her desk. After a quick stretch rolling her head between sides, she left her quarters, heading for the Officer's Lounge.

Just after 1300 Ship's time, Lieutenant Commander Sonja Vickers was three mouthfuls into one of Chef's famous chicken pot pies. It was sublime, so creamy and absolutely packed with flavour, and yet ultimately unsatisfying. Sure it was real chicken protein, but being lab-grown it had never been a living, breathing organism. It had never been soaked in the warm rays of sunlight, or spent countless hours foraging for goodies. It was just a soulless slab of meat.

Sonja's mind wandered back to the days she spent in the wilderness with her father. Losing her mother quite young, Sonja had been raised on her grandparent's farm as her father was almost always on deployment somewhere. She admired him greatly for all he'd taught her during their outings. Foraging, trapping, fishing and hunting, she was well versed in the art of survival. Sonja could skin a Gorpeen Tree Rat in under ten seconds, a record by anyone's standards. And the aroma as it sat cooking over an open fire, unbeatable. All she could think about, was to leave her new life behind and get back out into the wilds. To immerse herself within an alien ecosystem and just survive.

Pulled from her fantasy, Sonja's ears notified her she was being addressed. She looked up, finding Commander Colin Jacobs glaring at her disapprovingly.

"What's this about Vickers?" He huffed with his data pad in hand.

"Is there a discrepancy among my reports Sir?" She asked calling upon every fibre within her being to not roll her eyes. Wanker, she thought to herself.

Colin narrowed his gaze knowing full well she was baiting him. "I'm referring to this leave application," he snapped. 

The most innocent of smiles slowly made itself known across her face. "Aye Sir," she nodded, "short notice I admit, but we are in orbit here for R&R as it were."

Colin's face began to turn red, "it's dated for today!" He barked. "You've known for weeks that we were coming out here, if this is some kind of joke, I'll be reporting you to the Captain!"

"No Sir, it is legitimate," she replied keeping her gaze fixed with his. "I received a message this morning from my father." Sonja watched as Colin's eyes widened.

Appearing to realise how much excitement he was showing, Colin composed himself clearing his throat, "oh yes, well umm, I suppose I could rearrange a few shifts to cover for our best pilot in the fleet," he smiled.

She snorted obnoxiously keeping her face pleasant. For she knew the ambient noise of others in the lounge would cover it. "Aye Sir!" She nodded, pathetic, she thought. Sonja was always repulsed by Colin and how quickly he'd capitalise on an opportunity to suck up to an Admiral.