Round 2: Anger - @HardeeBurger

Anger

by HardeeBurger

There are three gates that lead to hell – Lust, Anger and Greed.
- Bhagavad Gita 16:21

If in our heart, we cling to anger, we cannot be free.
- Thich Nhat Hanh, May 1998

When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
- Winston Churchill, December 8, 1941

"Wir werden nur dann von Frieden sprechen, wenn wir den Krieg gewonnen haben!"

General Georgy Zukhov offered the man deference due only to his status. "We will talk of peace right now, Herr Hitler – here and at my leisure. This war won't be won by you. Not today, nor now, not ever."

"Führer Hitler!" the man demanded. "Führer und Reichskanzlerund!"

General Zukhov kindness towards the man had reached its limitation. As commander of the Belorussian Front, his army would soon set itself upon Germany's Reichstag, consuming it in fire. With no country and no government, and soon, no army to command, Adolf Hitler had lost his claim to all of his titles. Yet, despite the position of superiority the General held over the small man, Zukhov heaved a sigh. There were bigger monsters in this war than just mere mortal humans.

"As General of the Chief of Staff, and Minister of Defense for the Union of Soviet Republics, I know about the Spitfires."

Hitler blinked before responding. "The British fighter-bomber? Ach, my Luftwaffe would have taken London if given more time."

Zukhov slowly shook his head, not once releasing the fallen leader from his steadfast gaze. "No. Not the British Aircraft. The alien sea dragons."

Hitler now blinked rapidly. "I don't know what you mean!"

His words were a clear lie. The stress and tension of the moment made it hard for him to sound convincing. General Zukhov barely bothered with paying the man heed.

"Herr Hitler," he began, trying to not sound condescending, "Führer Hitler, if you wish. These monsters came to us first in Odessa, offering their hideous wares."

"Nein!" Hitler blurted. "That's not possible!" he then added before clamping his mouth shut.

"The Motherland denied them everything, so they left for Venice, to seek you through Mussolini."

"Nein," Hitler repeated, sounding less convincing than before.

"They then set out across the land, and made it to Liechtenstein. A hard feat for what are at heart, water dwelling creatures."

Hitler now said nothing. "They convinced you to annex Austria, to consort with them in the Adriatic. From there, they fed you lies, as you now here try feeding yours to me."

Hitler hung his head. There was no use in denial. General Zukhov, as a member of the Soviet Politburo, knew as much – if not more – about the alien sea creatures as did the German Abwehr. Zukhov no doubt also knew that the Spitfires had abandoned the Third Reich, fording the English Channel to take sides with Great Britain.

"How– " Hitler stammered, sounding miserable. "How did you deny them favor, when they offered so much?"

Zukhov stood at attention. "I am only a soldier, and not a politician. But I can tell you this – their promise of technology for no cost other than their benefice is nothing but a ruse."