Chapter 13

Vanessa~

Skylar holds the door to a beautiful black limo open for me to climb in, so I do. Once comfortably seated, I turn to the very well dressed person next to me and teasingly say, "Wow, you really go all out, don't you?"

"Might as well," she shrugs, "Not like I get to often."

"Really? Thought you had more game." I lightly nudge her arm with my elbow.

"Oh I do, seriously have you seen me?" I roll my eyes as she continues. "I just don't do all this often." For some reason this comment causes an involuntary smile. Trying to shut it down, I turn away for a second and try to think of a witty comeback. "Okay," I say, "don't get cocky on me now, we have a nice thing going here."

"My sincerest apologies." She says with a light, teasing tone.

"Better." That damn smile curves up at the corner of my lips again and I can't seem to get it to go away. Not that smiling is a bad thing, but I don't need Skylar thinking I'm soft now that she got me a limo, I'm not that easy... anymore.

"Gosh, you're hard to please." She says, leaving a perfect opening for me to make a remark.

"Obviously," I mock roll my eyes. "I'm hot and I'm rich. What do you expect?" Gesturing to my dress, I flip my hair and wait for a response. I brace myself for her typical "yeah, whatever", but still hope for a little compliment, even if it's backhanded.

"Clearly," She says in an almost sarcastic way, "Man, I certainly know how to pick them."

Feeling heat coming up to my face, I quickly change the subject. I got what I wanted, but we don't have to keep talking about it. Don't need a repeat of our first encounter in the hallway. Although, this is a little different--nope, not going to risk it.

"Where are we going anyway?" I ask, effectively changing the subject and I feel the heat begin to leave my cheeks.

"Now that, is a surprise. Come on, no fun if I tell you. We're about half way there, I'll tell you that." Guess she doesn't know I hate surprises, I think to myself. Oh well, I'm kind of having fun.

Nonetheless, I sit back and enjoy the ride to our mystery destination. My attention finds its way to the vehicle we're in; it's quite impressive. I've been in limos before, but never like this. Comfortable seating, a cooler with drinks in it, soft music playing, a non-bumpy ride, and of course the company is different, almost better. Before I can entertain that thought much longer, we arrive at our destination.

Skylar is the first to get out and holds her hand out to me as I scoot over to get out. "And here we are." She says confidently. Taking her hand, I pull myself out of the limo and try to figure out exactly where "here" is.

Immediately, all my senses are put into overdrive. The building is a beautiful red, almost antique, restaurant where even a Queen would be overwhelmed. The air smells lightly of fresh baked bread. Faint instrumental music plays in the background over the indistinct chatter of people. "Whoa, this is nice." I finally say after staring at the building.

"Glad you think highly of it." She responds, leading me inside. As she walks in front of me, I become very aware she hasn't let go of my hand yet. I can feel the warmth of her palm resting in mine, the grip of her fingers between my own. It's quite nice, actually. Smiling at this thought, I realize who I'm talking about and try to convince myself this is all an act. We're just out having fun because neither of us have a family. On a normal day, I would be repulsed by something so romantic especially with someone that has made it their life's goal to piss me off and knock me off my throne. But even with that in mind, I still can't concentrate on anything else. She stops walking forward and we end up standing in front of a sophisticated information desk.