Chapter 26

Vanessa~

On a dark Sunday night, my plane arrives in good old California. Visiting my cousins in Rome and having some time to myself was definitely needed. I got to brush up on my Italian and eat all the carbs I wanted. The best part is I got to turn my phone off for the whole trip. Just spent some time with me and my beloved novels. As the plane lands, I switch my phone back on and await the hundred texts that are sure to ensue.

Unfastening my seatbelt, I grab my mini-suitcase off the top compartment and make my way out of the plane. My phone buzzes in my pocket, catching up on all my missed messages, but I'll check that in the cab. Pulling my suitcase behind me, I approach the familiar exit and call a cab over. I tell the nice man to take me to Scarlet Rose, unfortunately. As he drives, I finally take my phone out and begin checking my messages.

Where the hell are you? Brendon sent me on Thursday at 2:06pm. This is about ten minutes before the idiots were supposed to go on. I wonder how that turned out. Where are we meeting? Arielle sent to the group chat at 1:30pm. I'll see you guys at the ticket booth place. Melody responded a few minutes after Arielle. Vanessa? Are you coming? Arielle sent at 1:45pm. We're going to get seated, just text when you get here. Melody sent at 2pm. Hey, are you okay? I'm coming to your room. Melody sent at 4pm. This was probably after all the performances had ended for the day. She's about to find out that I wasn't there. Okay, you're not in your room and you're not answering your phone. Are you dead? You better not be dead. If you did something stupid, I'm going to kick your ass. She followed up a few minutes later. I'm going to stop reading their messages for a minute.

Next, I check if I have any missed calls and of course, I have two from Brendon, five from Melody, and three from Arielle. To my surprise, I actually have a missed call from Maria, and she left a voicemail. Clicking play on the voicemail, I hear her sweet soft voice through the speaker on my phone. "Hey darling, I think you should be done with finals, and Phil and I would love to have you over for Christmas if you don't have any plans. We all miss you, even Tom and Jerry, but we understand you're a busy young woman. Please give me a call back. Love you, pumpkin." Listening to her voicemail almost brings a tear to my eye. I've been so preoccupied with this Skylar shit that I forgot about Maria.

"Is it okay if I make a quick phone call?" I ask the taxi driver out of politeness. He says it's fine and I thank him as I dial Maria's number.

"Vanessa!" Maria answers with an excited voice.

"Hey, Maria! Sorry I missed your call, I actually went to visit Cole and Chelsea in Rome over the weekend to celebrate finishing my finals." Small lie, but she won't know the difference.

"Aww, that sounds fun! Did you get my voicemail?"

"I did! And I would love to come over for Christmas! What time should I come by tomorrow?"

"Are you busy tonight?" Maria asks.

"Nope, I actually just got back to California and I'm on my way to school right now. Do you want me to come over tonight?"

"If you would like to. We cleaned up the guest room for you in case you called back. Tom and Jerry have already claimed the bed as their own." I laugh a little at this.

"Sure! The cab is pulling up on Scarlet Rose right now. Let me go re-pack and take a shower, and I'll be there in an hour?"

"Sounds great, Sweetie! See you soon, love you."

"Love you, too, Maria."

Handing the driver a 50 dollar bill, I grab my suitcase and head into the building. I go up the stairs quickly to make sure I don't run into anyone that may be leaving campus late, or not at all for a certain someone I am avoiding. I get to my room fairly quickly, throw the clothes in my suitcase in my laundry basket and jumping the shower. When I get out, I get dressed quickly in jeans and my Scarlet Rose sweatshirt and pack up my suitcase with clean clothes. Laundry is a problem for future me.