Chapter 29

Vanessa~

This kind of thing happens every single time Quinn comes to town. I thought maybe, just maybe, things could be different this time. Maybe this time everything would be okay because she was only in town for a few days and I could keep my eye on her. Melody was even with us, there were two people to watch her, two! But no, I let my guard down for one minute to dance with a pretty girl and I find out she not only snuck off to a guest room with someone, but she snuck off with my someone. What are the odds?! I went home that night in the back of a cab cuddling an empty bottle of champagne and a horrible feeling of nausea. A woman helps me out of the cab and carries me to my room and drops me in my bed. It was humiliating.

The next morning, my head was pounding so bad, I could barely get out of bed. Somehow, I get the energy to go over to Skylar's room and listen to an explanation I barely remember because it was pre-coffee, pre-Advil, and post-alcoholic binge. In this state of mind, I also agreed to meet up again for a reason I still don't understand, but there's no going back now. Spending the rest of the day in bed, I sleep off the hangover and wake up the next morning at 9 am.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Quinn greets me when I open my eyes. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah," I answer groggily, "Why are you so cheerful?"

"Because it's the day before your birthday!" Ugh, don't remind me. "So what are we doing today? What have you always wanted to do before you're legally an adult?"

"Take a shower," I say, rolling my eyes. "I got a thing at 1 today, so I can't run off on a pre-birthday celebration right now." Getting out of bed, I start the coffee pot and disappear into the bathroom. It's a miracle I even remember that I'm supposed to meet Skylar today. I start the water and take a quick, hot shower. Fifteen minutes later, I'm pouring myself a cup of coffee and looking at my closet as always.

What does one wear to get told yet again that she's not the one? I think to myself sarcastically. Well, I might as well look hot, if just to make myself feel better. Show her what she's missing. Staring at my closet, I make instant eye contact with my favorite black mini-skirt. This skirt has seen many of nights out. Paired with a tight crimson v-neck shirt and black vest, I'm unstoppable. I pull on some black knee socks and put my heels by the door.

"Uh oh," Quinn says when she looks at my outfit. "You're going to meet Skylar for 'the talk', aren't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Q," I say, pursing my lips as I apply red lipstick that matches my shirt.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. The talk where she says she didn't mean to sleep with me and how she can make it up to you, where you just act like you don't care and walk off looking hot as hell, so she realizes what she almost had. I taught you that move, Vanessa." Her tone almost sounds like she's telling me not to do it, but I don't really care.

"Is that really so wrong?" I ask, shooting her a glare. "I'm just trying to make myself feel better after everything that happened at that stupid party you dragged me to. You haven't even apologized to me yet. Yes, I see you staring at me like I'm a wounded puppy and taking care of this year's worst hangover, but that's not an apology."

"V, you know I don't really apologize."

"Yeah, I do." I say coldly, putting my shoes on and grabbing my purse. "I'll catch you later, Q." Fluffing up my hair, I walk out to my car and head over to the coffee shop. As I drive, I think about what to say. Should I act like I'm over it and I was just drunk and didn't know what I was saying? Should I own up to it, but say that it's not true anymore? Whatever happens, I'm not going to make a fool out of myself again.