Part 2: The Certification and Rising Tensions

"Congratulations Alex. You've been accepted to join us as a State Alchemist. Welcome young boy." "Thank you Führer Bradley. It's an honor to be here."

Alex currently stood in front of Bradley's desk in his office in the Black Ops HQ.

"Now then, as you know, each State Alchemist is given a title to describe their selves. As for you, I haventhe perfect name."

Bradley handed Alex his State Alchemist certification along with a neat pocket watch.

"Is this, a pocket watch?" "Every State Alchemist is given one. If basically acts as an ID. Just show it to someone and they'll automatically know your a State Alchemist. Now then, open the certification letter."

Alex nodded and removed the knot closing the letter as he read it.

"By the power invoked in me as leader of the Black Ops HQ in Lastation, I, Führer King Bradley, hereby declare that 6 year old Alex Mustang, I now an official State Alchemist and will work under his alias, The Flame Alchemist."

Alex read that last line and stopped for a bit.

"Flame Alchemist?"

"Well, it was obvious. Your gloves are truly one of a kind. They're made of ignition cloth so when you rub and snap your fingers, you create a spark. And, by using the transmutation circle on the glove, you change the oxygen density in the air until flammable and then boom, bombs and fire on command."

"Your very sharp at learning Führer Bradley."

"I also know your two gloves serve different purposes. Your left hand is used to larger, destructive blasts while your right hand is used for pinpoint precision and aiming. And lastly, if you wet or ever in the rain, you can't create a spark meaning your useless."

"You pretty much explained my Flame Alchemy as a whole."

"Well, I do tend to impress other including myself."

Bradley stood up as he saluted Alex with Alex saluting back.

"Major Alex Mustang! I, Führer King Bradley, hereby declare you one of us! Go out there and make your mark!"

"Sir yes sir!"

And just like that, the legend of the Flame Alchemist had begun as a small flicker of light. Over the course of a year, Alex had raised through the ranks in blazing speed and, before he knew it, he had achieved the rank of Colonel as he was now Colonel Alex Mustang at the age of 7.

Over the course of a year, Alex had gone on many missions across all four nations, and, that's when his popularity grew. One thing that separated Alex from the other State Alchemists was that Alex genuinely cared for the people and wanted to help and make them feel better in any way.

Alex became so popular with the public that he was unofficially given the nickname "Alchemist For The People." by the civilians.

Though, not all was good for Alex.

There was one recurring problem that kept on getting worse and worse.

His home village, the slums of Lastation, which had a population of over 100,000 easily making it the largest village, had grown deep tension and resentment against Noire.

As a CPU, the four goddesses would always do a fly by of the nation once every month to check on it's condition, however, unlike Purple, Green, and White Heart, who looked at everything including their own nations respective slums, Black Heart only checked mainland Lastation.

She never checked the slums cause one, it was separated by Black Ops HQ, and two, she never had enough free time so check everytime.

Because of the neglect, the slums grew worse and worse by the day and grew more and more hatred for Black Heart.

Somehow, the slums had stole numerous weapons from Lastation' army which meant they were for war whenever it happened. The leader of the slums, Alex's father, Roy Mustang, was ready for a war.

For the past few months, he had been planning a coup d'ètat against Lastation and hopped that a victory for them would get the slums annexed so they could prosper as their own country.

As much as Alex wanted to support his father, he couldn't just fight and destroy the one nation he admired as a child.

And now,  here we are. The Fateful Day.

"Thank you for helping me Alex." "It's no problem Lady Uni. It's my pleasure." "No need for formalities Alex. We're friends here. Just call me Uni." "Understood Lady, I-I mean Uni."

Alex had been helping Uni with the paperwork for the past few hours.

Alex's shift was over so he walked Uni to give their finished paperwork to Noire.

"Come in!" Noire said after the knock. The door opened as Alex and Uni walked in with stacks of paper.

"Here's the finished paperwork Noire." Said Uni as she placed it down on her desk before turning to leave. "Bye Alex! See ya next time." Uni said as she left.

Alex the placed down his stack. "Here's my share Lady Black Heart."

"Alex. We know eachother somewhat so no need to address me by my CPU name. Lady Noire or Noire is just fine."

Alex nodded. "Understood. Anyways, my shift's over Lady Noire. I gotta go."

"Okay. Bye Alex. Thanks for helping."

"Your welcome Lady Noire." Alex said bowing as he left the Basilicom.

As much as Alex wanted to ask her about the situation with the slums, he didn't cause it be an invasion of private discussion.

As Alex walked back home, he walked past Bradley as both saluted each other before both stopped walking and just stood back to back.

"The situation with the slums is bad isn't it?"

"H-Howdp'd you know?"

"I know my stuff Alex. Anyways, here's some advice. Sometimes, the best way to prevent violence, is to become an even greater violence to destroy the old one." Bradley continued to walk away.

Alex was just left there, pondering on Bradley's words. 'T-Those words, they were weird, but, informative. I know what I must do.' He thought to himself.

So, Alex walked back home with his mind set with a plan he'd perform late that night.

Little did he know, that plan, would forever change the legacy of the Flame Alchemist.