Reality Check Through the Skull

"E–Everything l–l–looks good." Alphys smiled. You sighed in relief, adrenaline still buzzing through your system. Thinking back on what had just happened and how much you misunderstood...you wanted to hurl.

"J–Just make s–s–sure to get s–some rest, okay?" Right now Papyrus was healing your arm that you had been mindlessly scratching at one point. You sat against Sans chest while Undyne stood by the door talking to Toriel. It was a serious conversation, you gathered. With a sigh, the pain in your arm subsided.

"GOOD AS NEW!!" Papyrus said, patting your shoulder to show you could retrieve your arm. Sans didn't flinch, lost in his own thoughts. Papyrus moved to heal some nicks in Sans bones, the warm orange glow of magic soothing.

"Thanks, Papyrus." You glanced to him with a sincere smile. He nodded in return. "No, seriously, thank you, for everything," you rubbed your eyes, "I–I almost took something so important to you..."

"IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT, HUMAN." The tone was mature and one you wouldn't expect from Papyrus. "YOU DID WHAT YOU THOUGHT TO BE BEST AT THE COST OF YOUR OWN SELF." The healing magic stopped, and Papyrus moved from his crouching position into a sitting one. He stared at you and reached one hand outwards. "YOU PUT MY BROTHER FIRST, EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE DOING," you reached a hand forward and held his, "NO, I COULDN'T BE ANGRY. BECAUSE SOMETHING VERY INTIMATE WAS DONE TO YOU WITHOUT PERMISSION AND KIND OF CAUSED THAT CONFUSION."

You felt tired. You'd accepted what couldn't be undone. Alphys had explained in more detail after Sans stopped responding to any words–trying to understand what had just happened. It was something you wouldn't really notice, but what signified the 'soul bond' you mistook for the 'soulmate' attachment.

"YOU ARE NOT ANGRY?"

"No, I'm not." You held his hand, relieved Sans trusted him enough to be close to you. Papyrus understood his brother much more than you did. "There is no point crying over spilled milk."

"THERE IS NO MILK???" Papyrus tilted his head, brow bones furrowed. "WHY WOULD YOU CRY ABOUT MILK??" With a giggle you shook your head, explaining it was a metaphor. "AH, YOU HUMANS ARE STRANGE. WHY NOT JUST SAY WHAT YOU MEAN????"

"Because that would make sense."

"EXCUSE???" The skeleton was absolutely baffled by the strange human norms, and you remembered that despite being on the surface for a while, monsters rarely mingled with humans.

After some giggling on your part, Papyrus also started chuckling in the form of small 'nyehs'. He patted Sans on the skull a few times. When said skeleton didn't respond Papyrus exhaled once more. "AH, HE GETS LIKE THIS SOMETIMES." Papyrus met your eyes, amusement clear.

"He just naps everywhere?"

"HE SAYS HE 'INTELLECTUALLY ZONES OUT'." Papyrus snorted, shaking his head, "HE'S AWAKE, JUST LIKES TO THINK TOO MUCH." He dusted off his kneecaps and stood. He outstretched his hand, "YOU SHOULD CLEAN UP."

You groaned, "Alright, sure." You scrunched up your nose at the blood all over you and grimaced. Yeah, you did need to shower. It's been a few days so you probably smelled too. Before you went to stand up you paused. Papyrus tilted his head.

Sans was still sitting like a ragdoll, motionless while his eye sockets stayed empty. He wasn't sleeping because they were open, yet he also wasn't present. Could you just get up and go? No, you thought, you should snap him out of it and tell him you were going to shower and come back.