Buttercups And Friendship

Sans had already spoken to Grillby and was now waiting for all the preparations. He decided to wander around Snowdin and the surrounding areas to see if anything dangerous was present. He figured not but it was good to be safe. Everything needed to be perfect if the transition was to be smooth.

After walking around to avoid tiring himself out by shortcutting, he stopped before the door to the ruins. Sans remembered knocking on that door and sharing jokes with a woman he could not see. Where he made a promise that he had to break.

Sans didn't lose his smile. Though it was always hard when the kid came out with dust on their sweater, there was always sorrow and guilt present. He always would thank Chara for what they did for Frisk. Chara could've taken advantage of Frisk and forcefully taken over their body once Frisk shared their soul. But Chara didn't.

It wasn't hard to forgive Frisk, because it wasn't their fault. Something much darker, much more curious had been lurking in the shadows. But, not even gaster knew how to stare that deeply into the void. At least the cycling 'game' had ended. Frisk always said it felt like a game–until the route they finally stayed on the surface. Then Sans reset.

...Maybe that's why the kid was putting up with all this shit. Maybe they felt they owed Sans. He chuckled, walking through the door after opening it. It didn't matter. Frisk was his kid, and always would be. It's only natural for him to forgive them.

Sans closed his eyes, blinking them open occasionally while he blipped through the ruins to see the purple walls. Nothing really stood out except for a few whimsums, but they were doing no harm. Soon he reached the area where the humans always fell, figuring if anything would be a threat it'd reside here.

The light from the outside cast down in the endless drop from above. Surviving from this fall was always surprising since it should not be possible for a human. Yet, despite that, Sans still had met many humans before who survived. Well, until they met Asgore. Sans flinched.

Despite the sunlight, it was dark. The open area expanded past what he could see even with his enhanced vision–well 'enhanced' might be overexaggerating–but besides that, there was a little hill that fell right in a spotlight where a path of green grass grew.

And in the middle of the grass was a single yellow flower.

Crying.

Sans rose a brow bone and shuffled forward. He noticed scattered papers everywhere with handwriting that Sans could recognize as Papyruses...and Frisks. The crying had stopped so he looked up. "What are you doing here!?" The weed snapped, "Want me to kill you or something!? Come to make fun of me!?" Sans didn't let his grin falter, because seeing the flower cry pitifully gave Sans insight into what was supposed to be a soulless monster.

"doin' some rounds. makin' sure everything is safe."

"Fuck off! No one comes here anyway!" The weed–er, Flowey, was trying to hide his previous crying.

"well, that's true," Sans shrugged, "but, soon enough it won't be. kid will probably make a point to come by."

Flowey scowled and tilted his 'head' to the side. "What? What are you talking about smiley trash bag?" Sans snorted at the nickname.

"we're moving back down here."

"What!? Another war!?"

"no, jeez. only me, papyrus, frisk, and my sweetheart and coming back down." Sans had been approaching for a while and crouched in front of the flower. The sun was oddly comforting from here. "grillbs helping me move the house back down."