Chapter 2 - Visit from the Past

Naomi pov:

I wiped the sweat off my brow with the back of my hand, having cleaned up glasses and a few soiled plates from one of the many tables in the Host Club. It was a busy evening with several people even in waiting. It was almost eleven and I was sure that I wouldn't be in time to catch the last bus home today.

"Two Platios to table seven!" The bartender called from behind the counter and I hurried to take the order to the customers.

"I'll take these, Juro san!" I called and pushed a piece of paper towards him before taking the two Platios onto a tray. "And here's an order of Kickshot Drops for a customer at table four."

[A/N: I don't know names of beverages so I'm making them up ^^']

"Alright!" He said gruffly and went to work on his order.

I maneuvered through the tables, cringing at the thick stench of alcohol that hung in the air that I hadn't got used to despite working here for more than a year, and made it to table seven. I shifted the two glasses of the beverage from my tray on to the table in front of the two customers and gave them a chaste bow as they thanked me. They went back to talking to the two hostesses attending to them with big grins that made me queasy. I really wondered how the hosts and hostesses were able to attend to people so casually, especially when they were flirting and being so touchy with them.

"Kickshot Drops for table four!" Juro san yelled and I picked up my pace to serve the said beverage.

I put the rather large glass onto my tray and took it to table four where a middle aged man sat. He was plump and balding and was looking around at the hostesses with a dirty grin. I disliked serving people like him the most because they often looked like they were undressing people with their eyes. And this guy wasn't sparing even the waitresses that walked by.

I took a deep breath before putting on a business smile as I stepped close to his table. I placed his beverage and bowed. "Enjoy your drink, Sir."

"Are you going to be serving me today, Sweet Cheeks?" He asked, his grin widening as he eyed me up and down.

I took a step back while holding the tray to my chest in hoped of blocking out at least a bit of his ogling. "I'm afraid not, Sir. I am only a waitress here. Your hostess will join you soon."

"Aww, but I want you to entertain me today, Sweet Cheeks. I've had my eyes on you for a long time....you're so pretty and delicate looking. C'mon, why don't you take a seat next to me and let me shower you with sweet money."

A shiver of disgust ran down my spine at his words. I felt a little scared even and just bowed before leaving. I headed to the bar counter, placed the tray on the side and walked into the workers' lounge to take a short break and regain some composure.

I didn't like working in this place at all. I didn't like working in the midst of perverts who eyed others with dirty thoughts. To make things worse, the man who I had just served had been trying to get me to be his hostess since a few days, all while eyeing me from head to toe with an expression anyone would find vulgar.

The only reason I was holding my tongue and pulling through days of ogling from strangers I didn't know and trying to avoid uncomfortable conversations like what I had had moments before was for the high salary. No other place paid this high for the job of a waitress and it was the only way for me to survive, to pay my room rent and university fees and have at least two square meals a day.

I shut my eyes as I leaned against the wall with a deep sigh. My eyes stung as well and I clenched my jaw tightly while trying my hardest to hold them in. But I opened them soon after while inhaling deeply and slapped my cheeks to snap back to my senses. I had to be strong. I had to stay determined and confident. It was just another year before I graduated from university and got a decent paying job in my field of study. It was just until then that I had to hold out and for that reason, I had to keep up a smile and stay strong.