Chapter 4 - Wedding

Naomi pov:

Constant chatter could be heard outside the room I was waiting in. I stared at the colorful flower bouquet I held in my hands as I waited for my father to summon me and walk me down the aisle of the church – the day of the wedding had finally come and I was moments away from making my vow with the man I would marry.

I hadn't seen him before, not even in a picture, so I had no idea what he looked like – the only thing I did know about him was that his name is Kazuo. I didn't even know what job he had. But considering how he had agreed to invest two hundred million Yen in my father's company, I can only understand that he was really rich and most likely owned a super big company of his own.

Up until yesterday, I had been dreading this moment. I was tense and scared and had moments where the stress would overwhelm me so much that I would cry. And somewhere in the very back of my mind, I had a tiny ray of hope that there was still some way for me to get out of this mess. But with how I had been locked up and threatened with a knife and this day and this moment finally having come, I had no tears left to cry and no energy left to feel the hurt in my heart. I felt empty and blank and all I could see as my future was darkness. I had given up on all my dreams too – I would never see Kori again or graduate or get my dream job and work to protect the environment.

I twitched, snapping out my brooding when the door of the room I was in opened and I heard footsteps as someone came to where I was seated. I was facing away from the door so I couldn't see who had entered but I was quite certain that it was my father.

"Come, Naomi. It's time." He said and I closed my eyes momentarily while inhaling deeply.

The mild nervousness I had had since I woke up this morning and got ready for the wedding had turned to nausea. I felt sick to the stomach and lightheaded as well but taking a few deep breaths helped me relax. I had already given up on running away so why bother getting so worked up about my inevitable fate?

I stood up and looked into the mirror one last time, observing my tied up hair, my veil, the light makeup on my face, the delicate jewelry on my ears and neck and, finally, the beautiful wedding dress I wore. I clenched my fists when my father came to stand next to me with his hands on my bare shoulders. He was smirking and looking into my eyes in the mirror through black eyes I was glad I didn't inherit from him. I looked just like my mother – I was sure of this because of the picture I had of her – her appearance in my memory was hazy but I still remember the warmth her brown eyes always held when she looked at me.

"Don't worry, Naomi, everything is as it should be and you look beautiful. We should get going now. We don't want to keep Kazuo san waiting, now do we?" My father said and ushered me to walk out of the room with him.

My chest felt tight again and I swallowed thickly as I held his arm. I was trembling slightly and I tightened my hold on my father's arm as we entered the main hall of the church. I felt slightly dizzy too upon seeing the number of people gathered here and the extravagant and expensive decorations that would surely leave a hole in someone's pocket. How rich was the man I was marrying??

"Oh my, she's very beautiful, isn't she?" I heard a woman mumble as we passed her while walking down the aisle.

"You're right! It's just as expected of Toyama san – he wouldn't have settled for anyone less beautiful." A woman standing besides the first said in a slightly jealous voice.

"She's so lucky to be marrying such a rich man! She'll get to live like a queen!"

"I'd be so happy if I had so much money all for myself!"

"I wonder what her father does – he seems like a dignified man. I'm sure Toyama san would want to marry a woman of equal status after all."

"Just imagine the house, food and clothes she'll get to have all for herself! She'll have a life every other girl will envy. Although....it would also be kind of scary living with him...."