Chapter 18 - Threat

Kazuo pov:

"Are you really sure it's alright for me to go with the two of you?" Father asked, twiddling his fingers uneasily.

"How many times are you going to make me repeat?" I said, trying not to sound too harsh. "It's what Naomi wants and it's what we're going to do. If you still don't want to come, you can stay at home by yourself."

"N-no! I'll go!" he hollered, panicking.

I scoffed and looked to the side, still unable to believe how much of a wimp he had become ever since he told me the truth about the past. It was unexpected and shocking and...I honestly didn't know what to make of it for almost a week. I was glad, in a way, that he wasn't the man I had always thought of him to be but he had still put on an act and shoved me more into the darkness I was being eaten by just so I could prosper. I was yet to forgive him for that but I suppose it was alright to say that I was glad that the family I had had as a child wasn't entirely demented.

I had always thought that I had no need for a family, especially one that loathed me or admired me merely for my money and status. I had no wish to marry or even swim through an affair just for the heck of it but I was forced into commitment to avoid unnecessary rumors. I had believed Naomi to be like every other person I had met and known only to be thrown off my feet by her transparency and innocence. The moment I had seen her true nature though, a yearning so overwhelming, a desire so overwhelming had possessed me, making me wish that she would never leave my side, that I would become the center of her world...and, by whatever unknown grace, I was blessed with just that.

How Naomi had fallen in love with me, after I had been so cruel to her, was still a mystery to me. But I was glad and in no way wished to jinx it by taking her feelings for granted now.

Because of everything that had happened since Naomi walked into my life, I couldn't imagine a life without her anymore. And with how the truth of my father had come to light too because of her, the constant feeling of insecurity and the stress of always having to act as the tyrant I've been in others' eyes had eased out. I didn't have to pretend to be someone I was not in front of Naomi, if not my father for the time being.

But perhaps I had become too attached. During the time at work and when Naomi was not in the house like today, attending an interview for work at the local wildlife reserve, I yearned for her to be by my side. I was constantly tempted to call her and hear her voice. I wished to hold her in my arms, shower her with kisses and all the love I had grown for her. I didn't want to appear weird though so I retained my stoic façade at all times unless Naomi and I were alone. But that had become unexpectedly tough these days...

I sighed deeply, feeling troubled by my uncontrolled behavior off late – I really had to keep my cool and learn to keep my composure. Shaking my head, I glanced at Father who sat on the adjacent couch, sulking for being yelled at by me. He had been a frequent visitor to our house ever since the talk four months ago and it had become lively for all of us, especially Naomi. She was happy to have Father visit us – perhaps she saw him as a father figure, having never received affection from her biological father before – and I couldn't really complain about it. Well, I wouldn't dare to say that I too was actually pleased about it and I was even considering inviting him to live with us from now on, on Naomi's suggestion.

Work had been going on as usual, keeping me busy of the time, but I had wrapped things up quickly today. Naomi had requested a visit to the amusement park followed by dinner at a cozy family restaurant to celebrate her graduating with distinction and attending her very first interview. The last time I had been to an amusement park was before I lost my mother and I was both uneasy and excited about the visit. I had only seen children and adults enjoy rides and food and the other entertainment options in an amusement park all these years and I had a rather embarrassing childish curiosity that desperately needed to be quenched.