Chapter XXII: Out With The Old...

Suddenly before I could do anything else, a humongous bright light enveloped me, I shielded my eyes from it so they wouldn't be too damaged by staring at what I could only describe was one of the brightest of lights I've ever seen in my life. Nonetheless after that I opened my eyes and I soon found myself in a vast void of white blank nothingness. I looked around, unsure of what to think, how did this happen? What is this place? Where am I?

???: You've come a long way from whence you came young one.

I jumped, turning behind me in a jiffy. The deep voice boomed from a glowing figure who was extremely tall. I gasped beneath my breath as I reached for my revolver, but I couldn't find it. Eventually, I regained my courage. Stepping up to the figure and I began to speak.

(Y/N): "Where am I?"

???: "You're in limbo. The dimension between life and death."

(Y/N): "Why have you brought me here!? A-am I dead? I want answers!"

I demanded.

???: "Patience child, you will get answers. But for now, I have one question to ask of you. Why are you fighting Salem? I return to seek a glance at this Remnant's state... and then I see you. You. Who has brought a being that is almost immortal to your knees."

This is when I realize something... of course. How could I have been so stupid. He's the God of Light! The older brother from that old fable! He knows Salem is immortal! No one else does besides Amber and I! He's summoned me here to talk to me!

(Y/N): "You... you're the God of Light. Are you not?"

God of Light: "Indeed that is, and how may I address you? Young one?"

I thought about it before brought a hand to my heart, addressing myself in the most 'heroic' way possible. If he knew my less than goodhearted intentions behind me fighting Salem. I'd have no chance... he'd destroy me right here and now.

(Y/N): "My name is (Y/N) (L/N). The man who defeated Salem and has brought her to my knees."

God of Light: "Interesting. You have quite the intellect to stand up nonetheless completely defeat this girl. I find this most interesting."

That was when I realized something. Something that could prove to be the turning point behind Operation Nightingale. Which might prove to be my final victory over Huntsmen once and for all. If I play my cards right...

(Y/N): "Might I know something? A question is all I ask. I sought to defeat Salem... but her immortality. I had no knowledge of this. Might I ask how she came to be immortal?"

He seemed hesitant, he then spoke again.

God of Light: "What I am about to tell you young one, are events that have transpired years long before your time. Are you sure you want to learn about this world as it once was?"

I pretended to think about it. Then nodded assuringly.

(Y/N): "I'm ready sir. I think I might be able to handle whatever happened to Salem. No matter how tragic it may be."

God Of Light: "Very well, you're definitely a curious one... Here is the story of a young yet selfish woman who fell deep into her own desires."

I sat and listened, the God of Light revealed a lot. He left out a few details, the location, the time, but otherwise. I got to hear all about Salem's past. Her rescue and love affair with a man who had saved her from a tower. Petty hero stories... But eventually he got to the good part, the death of this man led her to him. Wanting him back, she got nothing from him. Eventually he bestowed immortality upon her as a punishment.