{7}First Mission

❇Chapter Seven❇
First Mission

  After weeks of teamwork and survival training, Gai Sensei finally thought it was time for us to go on our first REAL mission. From babysitting mischievous quadruplets, to conducting Konohamaru's kindergarten class, to guarding a royal wedding ceremony to our first REAL MISSION. Yes!!
He told us that a Emperor's  daughter has been kidnapped for ransom and it's our job to bring her home safely.
  "I packed your bag with the things you need, food and the squid sticks you asked me to make, water, first aid, medicine, clothing, sleeping bag, mosquito repellent, feminine necessities, ninja gear and so on.."
"Thanks, mom!" You collected your bag as you say on the genkan and slipped on your ninja sandals.
"Be careful out there, I love you." She planted a kiss on your forehead. 
"Say, 'tah-tah', (sister name)." Your mother asked your sister.
"Tah-tah!!" She waved you off and smiled, showing her pink, fleshy gums .
"Tah-tah, (sister name)"you rubbed noses with her and kissed her forehead then left.
You arrived at Neji's house and knocked on the door, it was answered by a servant.
"Good morning and welcomed, Lady (Name). What brings you here?"
"Good morning Mrs. Yin, I'm here for Neji, we have a mission today."
"I'll call for him. Would you like to come inside?"
"No thanks." Mrs. Yin went back inside to get Neji.
He stepped out with his backpack pack on. "Good morning Neji."
"Good morning." He stepped off the wooden deck and brushed past you, "Wait up!"
You ran after him and finally caught up. "Though we are in the same team, we barely talk to each other. So, are you ready for the mission?"
"Obviously.."
"I've always wondered, what is under that headband of yours?"
"Nothing that is of your concern."
"Well, the cat will come out of the bag. Eventually."
You both walked in silence until you arrived at the gates of Konoha, you were greeted by your other teammates.
"Hey Guys!"
"Oh my God, Lee, are you serious!?"
He cut his hair into a bowl cut, he wore the same green body suit and tied his headband around the waist just as Gai Sensei has.
"Gai Sensei gave me a haircut, even though I was reluctant and he gave me one of these to train, but I decided to wear it all the time. Anyways, are you ready for our mission!?" Lee asked,
"Yeah I am!"
Gai Sensei arrived shortly,
"Good morning, students!
Are you ready for our first mission outside of the Konoha?" He asked with and gestures and movements.
"Yes, I am." You nodded,
"I am ready for anything, Gai Sensei!" Lee fist pumped with enthusiasm.
"I guess so.." Tenten shrugged, Neji said not a word.
The gates were opened and you all were now exposed to the outside world, like a baby fresh out of the womb. Everyone proceeded walking when you still stood within the boundaries of the village,
everyone stopped and looked back at you, "C'mon, it's okay. I'm nervous, too." Tenten said, outstretching her hand. "As am I." Lee added. Neji sighed impatiently and tugged you over the line that separated the Konoha from the outside world.
"So how long was she missing?" Tenten asked,
"For about two to three weeks."
"What was the last attire she was seen in?" You asked,
"A traditional clothing."
"Any idea who the kidnapper may be? Lee asked,
"No idea. But we'll find out more when we get there."
"Where is the location of the mission anyway?" Neji asked,
'How can he forget to tell us these things?' He rolled his eyes.
"A small town in the village hidden in the rain There are few, close to no ninjas in there. That's why they sought help from other villages."

***

"It seems to be getting late,
we should take camp for now." Gai Sensei commended as he rested his bag down, "Who wants to volunteer in looking for firewood?"
"I do!" You and Tenten replied in sync, "Okay, be careful and don't let your guard down."
"How can I let my guard down when I have like, two pairs of eyes?" You joked,
"Haha, c'mon let's go."
You both walked through the dense woods, both of you with about six pieces of firewood each "What's with you and Neji?" Tenten suspected, "Huh?" You tilted your head, stunned at the sudden question.
"You heard me, what's between you and Neji, are you family or something?" She repeated picking up a few sticks and adding them to hers, "Well," you picked up sticks laying beside a tree stump, "No, we are one clan so we share the same last name. Just like how the Uchihas share the same surname, we do. We're families are close so we walk together and things like that.." You tried you best to sweep the arrangement thing under the carpet. "Oh, I thought you two were a couple."
"Nah, just family friends." You you tried your best to hide your smile,
"Have you felt any way for him?"
"He is a great teacher and sometimes uses his anger to teach me a lesson. Our clan has a special tactic for combat, so does the Uchihas, I couldn't get to activate it, and he taught me how to use it. He either puts me in danger or gets me angry to make it work but now I can do it on my own. I respect him for that, and I can't seem to repay my dept. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be a ninja." You gave a gentle smile, seeing how grateful you were for him. "Sounds like you like him.." She bumped your shoulder with hers,
"Eh!?" You face lit a million shades of red. 
"I- I don't know.. We're so different." You sighed.
You two were like Fire and Ice, Gemini and Capricorn, the Phoenix and the Griffin, Yin and Yang.
"There's a saying that goes, 'opposites attract' you know?" Before you even reply, there was a ruffling noise as a nearby bush, you both jumped and took a step back.
The bush shook violently when, out popped a wolverine with a dead rabbit clamped between its fangs bared and its mouth and teeth smeared with blood! "AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" you both screamed and ran away.
"I'll go see what those two are up to." Neji got up impatiently and marched off into the woods.
You both ran halfway and was stopped by Neji, "What took you two so long?"
"There was... a-" Tenten struggled with her words as she was out of breath.
"A wolverine! It popped out of the bush and.. and.. we ran." You finished her statement. Neji sighed and rolled his eyes and headed back to camp.
"Wait up Neji!" You both ran go catch up with him.  You all safely returned to the camp, started a campfire and sat around it.
"Are you guys hungry? Because it brought squid sticks and cup ramen." You offered, pulling out the squid sticks. "You brought squid sticks? Bring it in!" Tenten said.
"This walk made me a little hungry, I will try the squid sticks!" Lee said,
"I will try it as well." Gai Sensei held his roaring stomach, Neji said not a word but you knew he was hungry. After you were finished reheating the squid sticks over the fire, you divided them evenly between the five of you. You approached Neji to give him his share, he turned away as though he never saw
you,
"Neji, a ninja as strong and as skillful as you needs to eat. Don't let pride get in the way of your hunger, that's what comes first." You handed it to him, he took it and uttered softly,
"Thank you." You smiled and gladly said "You're welcome!"