Chapter 21

Lauren's P.O.V

"When are you going to wake Aiden up?" My mom asks me. Ugh I knew having her and my father stay here was a bad idea but Mani always convinces me to let them. They've been here a week and my mother is driving me insane. I love her but the way she works just clashes with the way I do, luckily they leave in two days. Aiden's birthday is finally here and he's still asleep. It doesn't bother me since it's only 9 and it's his damn birthday so he can do whatever he wants but apparently my mother doesn't see it the same way.

"Mami it's his birthday, leave him alone. I'm sure he'll be up in an hour anyway." I lie. Aiden could sleep an entire day if he has nothing to do.

"We both know that's not true." She says and I roll my eyes.

"Go help Mani and Jordan with breakfast." She says and I groan as I flip through the mail in my hand.

"Go!" She says as she walks past me and hits me on the butt. I hear my father chuckle from his spot on the couch and I glare at him.

"Control your wife." I say.

"That's like trying to control you." I roll my eyes and sit the mail down on the coffee table then walk into the kitchen. Jordan is stirring something in a bowl and laughing, Sierra is in the refrigerator and Mani is eating something, moving around the counter and laughing too. What the hell is so funny? Sierra brings out the carton of strawberries and closes the refrigerator.

"Come to help?" Normani asks and looks over at me.

"No, just see what you're cooking." I say and sit on the counter on the other side of the kitchen so I don't get in the way.

"Chocolate chip waffles and strawberry pancakes." Jordan says.

"What?"

"He meant pancakes with strawberries on top."

"Yeah." He says in agreement as he sticks his tongue out of the corner of his mouth and focuses on stirring the batter. I chuckle at his concentration and look at Sierra.

"What are you doing?" I ask and she looks over at me.

"Mama said I could cut the strawberries." She walks to the island and sits in a stool. In front of her is a cutting board and these weird plastic knives Normani bought. They cut things but when you touch them, they're dull. Weird.

"Aiden still sleep?" Normani asks.

"Yep but that'll change soon if my mom has anything to do with it." Normani chuckles and takes the batter from Jordan.

"You should wake him up."

"Or let him sleep. I like that idea better."

"I'm already up." Aiden says as he scratches his head and walks into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" Everyone yells and Sierra runs to him and hugs him. He smiles and hugs her back.

"Thanks." He says then my mother comes in behind him and hugs him.

"Happy birthday." She says as he turns in her arms and hugs her.