Chapter 28

Mani's P.O.V

Today I feel like I really just need to leave for lunch earlier. The huge downside of my profession is stacks and stacks of documents. I can only sit through and process so many things before my brain feels like it's going to explode. I would call Lauren but she's working, Ugh. I love that even after being married for so long, Lauren is still my best friend. Maybe I'll go see Ally and the baby on my break...but they live to far for me to be back on time. What to do? What to do? I look up to my door once I hear a knocking. I, of course, see Keith leaning against my door frame. Ugh he's the last person I want to talk to or see. Keith is...hard to put into words. He's in his late 40's I believe, about 6'5, muscular build, salt and pepper head full of hair showing his age and he also has a goatee. Keith is a handsome man and you can tell he's always known that but he's kind of like that one jock in high school who gets everything and every girl. Keith is known to be a flirt but I made the mistake of engaging him in it. I didn't flirt back but I just said I was married and to him that was not something to make him back down. I think he finds my marital status as a challenge.

The only reason I haven't told Lauren about this is because I don't want her getting upset and doing something stupid. Lauren's temper has mellowed over the years but she is still fiercely protective and possessive at times. Also it's sometimes hard to pinpoint what she'll do. She may curse him out, key his car, punch him in the face, fuck me in his office, there's no telling though I wouldn't mind the last option. I love when she's possessive in bed.

"Normani?!" I look at Keith who is now sitting in the chair across from my desk. I guess I got lost in my thoughts.

"What?" I answer.

"What are you thinking about? I've been talking since I walked in and you haven't said one thing."

"It's not like I could get a word in with you anyway." I say and he smirks and leans back in his chair.

"I love how sassy you are Normani. I normally don't like when women talk back but you, you make it attractive." I don't even know how many ways I'm offended right now.

"Why are you in my office?" I ask and he shrugs.

"I was thinking we could go to lunch." He says.

"I don't want to get lunch with you. How many times do I need to say it?"

"When I asked the other times, yes I meant more than a friendly lunch but I don't mean it like that now." He says and I roll my eyes.

"Don't you normally go with...whoever you go with?"

"Yes but I figured you deserved the privilege of eating with me."

"You are the most arrogant man I have ever met." I say and he chuckles. I hate his laugh. It's so deep it almost sounds dark every time he laughs.

"Most women find arrogance sexy."

"No, women find confidence sexy. Arrogance is totally different."

"Why don't you teach me the difference?"

"I don't care that much." He crosses his legs, moves his chair closer to my desk then grab the picture of Aiden and Lauren I have sitting on the left corner.

"You have a very handsome son. He looks just like your wife." He says as he looks at the picture.

"Thanks." I say and he nods.

"He plays football correct?" I lean back in my chair and look at the clock on my wall. Oh well for an early lunch.

"Yes, Quarterback."

"You know I have very many connections. Colleges, scholarships, the NFL." I sigh.

"What are you getting at?"

"One lunch with me could secure your sons future."

"You're trying to bribe me into having lunch with you?" I chuckle and shake my head.

"Keith, I am not interested in anything you have to offer. I'm not interested in you. I am happily married and if I weren't, I still wouldn't want you. Why can't you get that?" I say frustrated. I'm really sick of him now. His facial expression is just blank. There's no anger or sadness, just void of emotion.

"No one says no to me Normani. Your no won't be a no for long." He then stands and walks out of my office. I guess I hurt his ego.

Once I finally go to lunch, I just walk down the street to this little coffee shop. I am really hungry but I need coffee so I can finish my work from today and not have to stay late. I hate having to stay late but Lauren always makes it better. Sometimes she'll pop up, call me and just stay on the phone. We won't even talk sometimes but I feel comfort in hearing the TV playing in her background. Lauren always find some way to make me smile even when I'm completely over worked. I order my coffee and head back to my office.

Lauren's P.O.V.

I'm really surprised I just ran into Camila. I mean, yeah it was possible but it hasn't happened before so I figured it wouldn't happen. One of the few co-workers I consider a friend, invited me to lunch with her and some other co-workers. I got annoyed before we got the menus so I left and went to this other place down the street. I was listening to music and on my phone when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I didn't expect to see Camila when I lifted my head.

"Hey." She says as she gives me a soft smile.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask.

"Got hungry." She says with a giggle.

"Can I sit?" She asks and I nod my head. She then sits in the chair across from me. I haven't talked to Camila since the football game but I think she's talked to Aiden since then. I think.

"How's it going?" She asks me and I shrug.

"Can't complain. What about you?" I ask her as I pick up my menu.

"Pretty good." I nod my head.

"When's the last time you talked to Aiden?" I ask.

"Two days ago. We're supposed to see a movie this weekend." She says and I nod again.

"Anything with a bunch of explosions, shootings or killings and he'll enjoy it." I tell her.

"Like action movies? I don't really like those." She says and I sit my menu down and take my headphones out.

"Yeah that's really his and Mani's thing. I like horror."

"Me too. Watching the dumb jock and the slutty girl get massacred are the most hilarious things ever." She says with a laugh.

"I say the same thing. Horror movies are so predictable."

"But you do get those few that are really good. Most of the old ones are the good ones." I nod my head.

"I totally agree. My favorites are the old ones." Our conversation lasted a lot longer than I expected, like a lot longer. We ate together and I was almost late getting back to work because we continued talking. I wouldn't have thought Camila and I would have so much in common. I'm really starting to like her.