Chapter 3 - 20 Years Earlier

Cartagena, Colombia

20 years earlier

Sully leads teenager (Y/N) towards the El Pirata museum where a Francis Drake banner hung above the door.

"Why are we doing this again?" The young girl questions, rubbing her sneakers against the step whilst he gains entry in.

"Because you love Francis Drake, remember?" He replies, the guard staring at them and (Y/N) smiles. "Totally." He takes her hand, immediately going upstairs.

A young boy wearing a white top with red sleeves was doodling in a notebook, and the youngsters make eye contact. (Y/N) frowns, feeling like she recognised him from somewhere, she doesn't have chance to study his face due to Sully dragging her off again.

He leads her around the exhibits, pretending he cared before going to the Francis Drake exhibits. He carefully hands her over the key, never taking his eyes off the artefacts.

(Y/N) goes to the side, putting her back against it and pretending to look like a bored teenager, wiggling it around and then walking off. Sully grabs her hand again, taking the key and the two head out of the museum.

They walk down the street, the heat beating down on them. Walking past fruit stands, (Y/N) holds out her hand and Sully grabs it.

"Sorry, she's just stretching." He apologises to the fruit seller. "I'll get you food later, focus." He then mutters, pushing her in the right direction.

"Geez, someone's pushy." She grumbles, taking a glance back to see someone following them. Sully turns her head back to face where she was walking and she grimaces at having to walk through a meat stall, pieces of animal hanging about.

He opens up the door and the two go into a more secluded part of town, walking across to the building. A sign on the wooden door reads: Aquí Se Hacen Llaves (here you make keys)

Sully opens the door and let's (Y/N) enter, checking that the coast was clear and then locking it behind them.

He ushers her up the stairs and into a room where a man sits at the desk. Sully hands over the tiny piece of metal (Y/N) used to get a print of the lock and the man goes to a machine. Sitting down on a chair, the teenager looks out the window to see the boy from before swing across the bars like a monkey.

"Hey, I don't want to rush you pal, but can you move it along?" Sully instructs, pulling her out of her trance. "It's just I got a lady waiting, you know how that is." He adds.

The man finishes and hands the key to Sully who nods. "That's the ticket." He places the key in his wallet and clicks his fingers. "C'mon, kid, move it."

(Y/N) gets off the chair and waves to the man. "Gracias."

"Adios amigo." Sullivan adds, holding open the door, letting her duck under his arm and run down the stairs. Exiting the building, he lets a cigar hang loosely in his mouth, lighting it on their walk back towards town.

"Here, we'll cut through this building." He tells her, placing his hands on her shoulders and steering her through. Once out the other side, a woman with blonde hair comes running up, hugging him.

(Y/N) pulls a face, going ahead of the two and up the steps.

"(Y/N)! Don't run too far ahead!" Sully calls and she waves a hand, pushing her way through the crowd.

The pair make their way to a bar, ordering a drink and (Y/N) makes her way to a fruit stand nearby. The young boy from the museum approaches Sully and easily takes the wallet, walking away in the other direction. Sully goes to take his wallet out to pay and looks at the young girl. "Very funny, now give it back."

"I didn't take it, the kid did." She replies, with a shrug.

With a shake of his head, he excuses himself from his partner and goes down a shortcut to cut the boy off. (Y/N) jumps off the chair, following him just in time to see Sully grab the kid's arm.

"Let go of me!"

(Y/N) leans against the wall, trying to figure out where she had recognised his face from.

"Now, don't try to run." Sully warns and the boy rips his hand from his grip. "You're a long way from home, son." He states.

"Don't call me that." The kid spits, rubbing his wrist.

"Parents must be worried about you."

"Yeah, not likely."

"Okay, sore subject. That was a nice lift back there. You're pretty good." Sully congratulates.

"I don't know what you're talking about, old man." The kid counters.

"Hey. Don't call me that. Your technique is really sloppy though. You're telegraphing all your moves." There's a pause between them and the kid with brunet hair shakes his head. "You're crazy."

"You've been tailing me all over town. My daughter even saw you take my wallet. Probably figured us for easy marks."

The teenager moves around Sully, smirking mischievously.

"But you picked the wrong family, pal." He warns and the boy begins to back up. "Ah- Ah. My wallet." Sully reminds him, holding out a hand.

The teenager looks over to where (Y/N)'s standing and they make eye contact once more before he puts his hands on his hips.

"Fine, maybe we'll just call the police." Sully says.

"Go ahead. 'Course they might wonder why a middle-aged tourist is following young boys down alleyways." His hands were now crossed, a smirk on his face and (Y/N) laughs quietly at his response.

Sully also lets out a laugh. "You're a crafty little beggar, aren't you?"

"I know how to take care of myself. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you don't like the cops anymore than I do." The boy says and (Y/N) raises her eyebrows in surprise. The kid had sass, she could give him that.

"Good point."

The teenager holds his arms out as if going to bow, turning to walk away.

"Kid." Sully holds his hand out. "The wallet?" He lets out a chuckle, but nonetheless takes out the wallet and throws it back. "Had to try."

"Course you did." Sully mutters and (Y/N) watches the boy jog away. Running over to Sully, he points a finger at her. "Where the hell were you, I could've done with help."

"Against a teenage boy? You're kidding right?" She replies, laughing.

"Here's your age, you would've know what to say." He grumbles.

"I'd say you handled it well, old man." She tells him, patting him on the back.

"That's enough of that. Go on, move it." Sully says, pushing her forward. Laughing, (Y/N) runs ahead, waiting for the old man to catch up.