Chapter 22 - The Atlantis Of The Sands

"Holy shit. It's true, it's really here." Nate breathes out.

The statues leading down the stairs begin to move, holding their spears outwards. They then twist them, holding them out in repeat formation.

"Oh my god..." (Y/N) mutters, following him down and he turns back. "Victor Sullivan. (Y/N) (L/N). Welcome to Ubar." He says, grinning.

The three stand in silence at the end of the stairs, two others splitting off either side and they look down at the city.

"Jesus... how the hell do we get down from here?" Sully breaks the silence.

"Follow the stairs." (Y/N) replies, going down the ones to the right, winding into a room with a fountain.

"Incredible." Sully nods.

The clear blue water falls from the smallest tier at the top, flowing to the middle and then finally the bottom one. Ivy and leaves wind their way around the pillars.

"This is how the city could thrive all the way out here." Nate realises. Looking back out, he frowns. "The whole place must be fed by an underground spring." Turning back, he places his hand in the fountain, swirling the water around and bringing some to his mouth, taking a drink.

"It's clean." Nate tells them, but (Y/N) looks at him warily. "It's amazing it's still running after all these years." With that, he keeps on drinking and Sully washes his face with the water.

(Y/N) crosses her arms, tapping her fingers against an arm whilst watching. All of a sudden, the room becomes darker through the gaps of the pillar and Nate looks up.

The three walk around the fountain, looking out to see a solar eclipse - something unexpected they weren't ready for.

"Now that's a hell of a thing..." Sully states.

Nate goes to reply, but stops at the sound of a bang. Frowning, he glances at (Y/N), who looks down at her top.

"What?" She whispers.

Dark, crimson red seeps through her top, tears brimming at the side of her eyes.

"No..." Nate whispers, running over and catching her just before she falls. Gently, he lies her down on the floor, glaring daggers at Marlowe and Talbot in the doorway, a smoking pistol the cause.

"No, please." He begs, looking back down at (Y/N)'s face, her eyes wide, but cold. She stares back at him and he waits for the smile, but it never appears.

"(Y/N)." Nate's voice is firm, his hands on the side of her face, yet she doesn't move. Another shot rings out, making him jump and eyes go wide. "Sully!" Nate yells, standing and running to him, who also falls.

Lying him down next to (Y/N), he shakes his head, backing up. "No, this can't be happening..."

A whirring noise makes him stand, glancing down over the edge to see the two murderers enter a lift. Staring, Nate's pain turns to anger and he runs, jumping over the edge to face them head on.

***

From (Y/N)'s point of view, she warily watches him drink. "Nate, I don't think you should be drinking that." She informs him.

Nate ignores her and she rolls her eyes, watching him drink the water.

"It's clean." He says and (Y/N) pulls Sully back, motioning to Nate, whose eyes had glazed over and he walks behind them, looking out and Sully frowns.  "(Y/N)... what's going on?" He asks and she cautiously stands with Nate.

"I don't know." She mutters, waving a hand in front of Nate's face, but he doesn't react.

"Maybe it's the water he drank?" Sully questions, clicking his fingers to grab his attention.