Chapter 20 - Desert

The sand spills into (Y/N)'s boots at every step. The sun was glaring down on her and she takes off her jacket, tying it around her waist.

"Come on, Nate, where are you?" She grumbles.

Carrying on, she curses at the lack of direction or water that she desperately needed, yet doesn't have.

(Y/N) looks forward at her destination of the wreckage of the plane and sighs, climbing on top of a dune. "There's not gonna be any supplies in that." She decides, studying the wreckage from afar to see everything blackened or set alight.

Turning, (Y/N) shields her eyes from the sun and looks out across the desert, finding nothing but sand stretching for miles out. "Shit... that's great."

She heads down the other side of the dune, away from the plane and towards nothing. (Y/N) begins the long trek to nowhere, hoping to stumble upon a well, a town, Nate or anything at all.

A long time passes and she keeps stumbling along, feeling drained of life, the heat no longer bearable. "Water would be good now." She mutters to herself. "Should've stayed in the stupid jeep with Elena."

The day turns into night and the night back into day and yet, (Y/N) had still not gotten anywhere. Her jacket had come off during the harshness of the day and on at the coldness of the night.

"Nate." (Y/N) yells, her voice hoarse. "Please..." She whispers.

In front of her was a pool of water, alongside of a few palm trees and she takes off running towards it. But as soon as she comes to it, it fades into nothing, making her fall to her knees in the sand.

"Of course." (Y/N) chuckles. "Why would anything be there?"

The woman stands once again and continues on her journey, looking for shelter. "Everything's gonna be fine. Get Sully and Nate out of here. Well, find them first. Huh... talking to myself, that's the first sign of crazy, right?"

(Y/N) keeps mumbling on to nobody but herself until finally, she spots a rock with just enough shelter for her to curl up under. And she does just that, closing her eyes and fading into darkness almost instantly.

"Come on, kid. Get up." Sully instructs and (Y/N)'s eyes open to see him leaning over her. "Sully?"

She rubs her eyes and open them again to see nobody in sight. Sighing, she slowly pushes herself up and continue along the desert.

It takes another good while, but (Y/N) eventually comes to a huge sand dune and hauls herself up it. Just below, sat a town and she squints her eyes just to be sure and laughs. "Oh, thank god."

(Y/N) runs down towards it, stumbling across and climbing up the sand just to reach it. It now sits below her and she catches her breath.

"If you're another mirage I swear down..." She whispers, deciding to slide her way down to it. She makes her way towards the wooden gate and sighs. "Shit, a ghost town?"

Looking around, she climbs her way up the side of the wall onto the roof and jumps over the other side, down an already broken roof into a building. Walking out, she rushes over to the ground well in relief , climbing down it.

"Shit, it's dry."

(Y/N) squeezes her way through the small crack, and stumbles forward at the small patch of water on the ground. She spits it out almost instantly, cursing at it before climbing her way out of the well and through the rubble of the buildings.

The wooden doors had already been broken down and she cautiously steps out, her eyes widening at the sight of bodies.

"Please let that be Nate." (Y/N) prays, noticing a water bottle and not wasting time in grabbing and downing it.