Chapter 23 - Once And For All

Nate takes the lead, back out onto a bridge. "Look at this place. Whole city's resting on this cavern. Doesn't look very safe, does it?" He sighs, the three entering a room at the end.

"That's an understatement." (Y/N) mumbles.

"Here." Sully motions to the handles in the middle. "Give me a hand with this."

Nate grabs one handle and Sully grabs the other, the two go in opposite directions, making the floor underneath sink down.It stops and (Y/N) looks at the two. "It's gonna get hairy, you boys ready for this?"

"Let's do it."

The trio head out and down the slope, into the cistern of the city.

"Amazing." (Y/N) breathes, standing still for a few seconds to watch the water fall, rushing into the abyss below.

"This is how they moved the water to the surface." Nate says, looking at the mechanisms, which were still working, and the pulley systems that pulled the water up.

"Good God. Look at the ceiling here." Sully points and they look up at it cracked and broken.

"I'm surprised this whole place hasn't come crashing down yet." Nate admits.

"I don't know how the hell its still standing." Sully adds, following behind (Y/N) up the stairs towards the door.

Nate goes to one of the handles and points over to the other one. ''Help me with this door.'' He says and she nods, placing her hands on the handle. He gives her a look and together, they push down, the door shooting up.

Sully runs through, followed by the two and then it slams shut behind. They had entered a room with a snake, coiling itself up and around, through the middle of the room. Looking down to the bottom, (Y/N) pulls Nate and Sully back. ''Shit, get down!''

Making their way through the building, the wheels turn, powering the pulley systems, giving them more sound than just the firing of guns.

"All clear. Down this way!'' Nate instructs at the end of the room. Two stairs lead downwards, separated by the flow of calm water and he follows the one on the right, immediately ducking behind cover.

''Ah, crap! Guys, we got more company!'' He yells.

This fight was more hectic then last. More of them were present, and the added firing of an RPG made it harder for them to move forward, but they manage to clear a path.

(Y/N) takes the lead this time, running through a room which looked like it had a built in pool, climbing her way up the sand-covered steps. A grenade is thrown in front of her and she stumbles back into Nate, who instantly pulls her away as the grenade explodes.

Breathing heavily, she gives a reassuring nod to him and they rush up. A silver crate stood in the centre and Sully crouches down. ''Let's see what they're up to.'' He smirks, pushing open the lid, revealing two pieces of scuba-diving equipment, along with a gun sat between them.

''Well, they're definitely going into the water.'' (Y/N) sighs and Sully nods, noticing and grabbing the gun. ''Hey...'' He chuckles, lightly. ''Sweet. I'm holding on to this.'' He states, holstering it and Nate pulls the lid closed again.

He moves on, going to the left handle and this time it's Sully that helps him to open the door and (Y/N) heads in first, closely followed by the two as it shuts.They go across a bridge and past the turning wheels. At the end of their path was a large pool of water and a machine, being operated by one of Marlowe's men.

Sully covers behind the left side of the pillar and Nate and (Y/N) takes the right, hearing Marlowe's orders: ''Careful! Lift it gently.''

She peers out and spies her stood next to the guy operating the winch, which sunk deep into the blue, pulling up the vessel of brass Salim had mentioned. ''You've got to be kidding me.'' Sully states, looking over.