Chapter 6 - Underground

"Man, I was sorely tempted to just pick up that briefcase back there and walk." Sully confesses.

"Yeah, you got a lousy poker face, mate." Cutter chuckles.

"Hey trust me, that's nothing compared to what we're onto." Nate tells them, his arm still wrapped around his girlfriend's waist.

"Yeah, well, at my age a bird in the hand, you know?" Sully shrugs and Chloe grimaces. "Eww."

"Didn't I tell you?" Nate says, referring to his earlier statement.

"Oh, please. Look I just hope you're right about this." Sully states. A calm silence falls and the group carry on towards the illuminated green garage door.

"Seems pretty quiet, right." (Y/N) points out and Nate nods, reassuring her that she wasn't missing out on anything. "You think they're still in there?"

"Well, we're not gonna just barge in the front door and find out." Cutter reminds her and she glares at him. "We can't afford to waste time standing here." She counters.

"I'll find a way in and check it out. You four stay here." Nate instructs, removing his arm from her. She gives him a small kiss on the cheek and a smile, letting him go to climb a pipe. As he nears the top, the pipe begins to break underneath him, and he jumps to avoid falling, it clanging to the ground.

"You all right up there?" Cutter whisper shouts up to him.

"Yeah, sorry about that." Nate carries on up, until he moves around the building and disappears out of sight.

There's more crashes around the side and then silence from Nate's end and amongst the others, nobody speaks. The door of the garage is shaken and opens slightly, showing Nate's fingers. "Give me a hand with this."

"Got it." Cutter puts his hands through the gap and the two push it open.

Everyone turns on a flashlight and Nate sweeps his across. "Does anybody see a car? 'Cause I don't see a car."

"I don't understand." Chloe says, confused.

"Damn it!" Cutter curses, pulling down the door behind them.

"Are you sure this is the right one?" (Y/N) questions. "Yes. The green door, I'm sure." Chloe exclaims.

"Nate, we are losing time here." Sully reminds him. "That damn briefcase is looking better and better."

"All right, come on. They didn't just vanish into thin air, right?" Nate says. "There's gotta be an explanation, just spread out and look."

"I can still smell the exhaust. They were here." (Y/N) says.

Looking around, Nate crouches down, brushing a light hand across the floor. "Tire tracks. Still wet from the rain." He moves along a bit. "Looks like the car turned here."

Nate walks, following the tracks before his foot sinks with the floor, making him frown. "Check this out." The four make their way over to where he stands and he pushes his foot down again.

"Some kind of mechanism." (Y/N) points out.

"Yeah, maybe." He sighs, studying the floor around them. "Wait... four tyres. Four points of contact." He point to the individual slabs on the floor.

"Sully, you stand right there." Nate instructs, pointing to the one in front. "Any other two, back there."

(Y/N) allows Cutter and Chloe to stand on the back two and she takes watch from the side.

"Everybody, on three, ready? One, two, three." On this the four of them jump, yet nothing happens. "Well, this has gotta be it."