Saying Good Bye

I knocked on Professor Snape's door.
"Enter."
"Hello Professor, I was told you wanted to see me."
"I wanted to escort you to Hagrid's when you're ready to go."
Stranger. I felt my heart tearing itself apart.
"I just need to change sir." I didn't really need to change, but I wasn't ready face what had to be done.

He gave me a sorrowful look. "Very well Miss Greyson. I shall await you here."
"Thank you." I tried to keep my voice from cracking. If it did I knew I would be crying again. Last night was the first time I had cried in front of another person since I was eight.

I got to the dorm. Gabby was still sleeping soundly with her face buried in Artorias' fur. The massive dog raised his head to look at me before laying it back down.
"You two were meant to be." I gave a small smile. 

I slipped into a pair of dark blue jeans a black tank top and v-neck black cotton shirt. I stood at the door for a few minutes. I was trying to steady my breathing. Slowly I reached up and pushed the painting open. I took a step out into the next chapter of my life.

His door was slightly ajar. I creaked it open slowly in case someone else was in here.  He looked up at me from his desk.
"Ready?"
"As I'll ever be."

The walk to Hagrid's hut felt like it took  forever.  Severus kept peeking down at me to make sure I wasn't crying or going to turn and run back to the castle. We said nothing. Our hands brushed once. He took mine and gave it a small squeeze. I gave him a half smile and squeezed back before we let go.

" 'Ello Miss Greyson. A pleasure to see you. Just wish it were better circumstances."
"Thank you for bringing him back Hagrid."
"Professor Snape? Wasn't expecting you." Hagrid looked uncomfortable with Severus' presence.
"The headmaster asked me to escort Miss Greyson." He said shortly.

"Very good. Very kind of you Professor." Hagrid fidgeted with his  coat.

Severus leveled him with a cold look. I interrupted before he could say anything.
"Hagrid, can you help me gather wood. Large and dry pieces."
Hagrid looked at me confused for a second then nodded. "Of course."

"Thanks." I said before walking towards the forest.

With Hagrid's help it took no time to gather what I needed. Then I was stacking them. After forty-five minutes I had a small pyre built. To my surprise Severus Snape never once looked impatient. Even as I denied assistance from both men.

Then it was time. I grabbed Stranger's hefty form and carried him over. I had wrapped him in a dark red cloth that matched his eyes.

Gabby and Artorias came down the hill then. She looked at the pyre with tears in her eyes. "The headmaster told me where to find you." She said by way of greeting.

"Would you?" I asked gesturing to the pyre.

She nodded talking out her wand. "Incindio!"

The pyre lit. Within a few minutes flames leaped up hiding the body of my friend and guardian.
"Good bye, mo chaomhnóir."

Gabby took my hand. We stood watching the flames until they to were no more.  She let go and headed back to the castle. When she realized I wasn't following she turned. I waved her on, watching Artorias lope after her.

After a while of staring blankly at the embers Severus's voice interrupted my thoughts.
"Miss Greyson, we need to head back. Classes will be starting soon."
I blinked to clear my eyes. "Right."

I pulled a jar from a never ending pocket in my jeans. With a wave of my hand all the ashes in the pyre were placed neatly inside.

"Let's go." I turned and walked away.