Healing is the Hardest

"Potter, Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley." Severus shifted uncomfortably. "I would like to have the three of you for tea this afternoon."

All three gawked at him. Severus shifted again. This was painfully awkward to watch, but I knew this was something Severus needed to face.

"I would like that Professor." Potter spoke first.

Hermione and Ron looked at him, then each other, finally Severus. "Alright."

Tea was hot and ready. Those sorry excuse for biscuits were laid out neatly. I took the liberty of baking some small cakes. Severus paced nervously. Fifteen minutes until they were supposed to be here.

"They'll be here." I put my hands on his shoulders.

"What do I even say?"

"Whatever needs to be said." I reached up to kiss his cheek.

He sighed wrapping his arms around me.

Right on time the golden trio knocked. Severus tensed again.

I kissed his cheek one last time, "Remember you're not alone. I'll be right here the entire time."

"Thank you." He kissed my nose.

I opened the door. The three filed in looking equally as uncomfortable as Severus.

"Sit please." I gestured to the set table.

We all sat in awkward silence for what felt like an eternity.

Finally Severus cleared his throat. The trio quietly sipped their tea as they waited for him to speak.

"I owe all of you an apology. Probably none more than you Miss Granger. I have treated each of you. Honestly I have treated all my students deplorably."

Their eyes were the size of saucers. No one said anything for a solid minute.

"Thank you Professor Snape." Hermione met his eyes. "That does mean a lot especially to me."

Not exactly a forgiveness, but a start. Ron and Harry muttered their agreements. I'm fairly certain Ron was only being so forgiving for Hermione. Harry seemed genuinely interested in giving him a second chance. For now at least.

"I'm sorry we can't stay longer. We promised McGonagall that we would be out to help with repairs." Harry stood to go.

"Potter, Ira will go assist in your stead for now. I need to speak with you privately." Severus wrung his hands nervously.

I eyed him. Is he going to do what I think? I wasn't sure if that was a subject he was ready to breach with Potter. I gave him a nod.

"I'll be back." I kissed his cheek then followed Harry's friends out of the door.

*****Severus*****

"You loved her." Harry broke the silence.

"I did, but wrongly." I took a deep breath.

"Potter, I have to tell you that..." I started to hesitate.

"What Professor?"

This was no time to hesitate. "I'm the reason Lilly died. I told Voldemort about the prophecy. If I had been a better friend to her....If I hadn't been a selfish, arrogant, stupid, spoiled brat. She might still be alive. Because of me Longbottom's parents were tortured to insanity. Because of me Lilly and James died that day." I could feel the tears running down my face. I couldn't meet his eyes. That last little bit of Lilly might be the end of me.

"It wasn't just you. Peter Petigrew is equally as responsible. He told Voldemort where to find them."

I finally managed to look at him. His expression was blank. Shock most likely. How does one properly react to being told that the person standing in front of them is almost solely responsible for orphaning them?